Darn mice chewed my coax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a vintage Radio Shack Discone antenna stored away. Apparently the storage place was not vermin-proof. Anyways, the damage was about 2 inches long outside braid half chewed off. I applied epoxy glue to prevent water damage. I am thinking of wrapping electrical tape around the cable from top to bottom. I would like to use this antenna for 2 meters (TX/RX). Any damage I could do to my 5 watts HT if I use the antenna in this condition? Attached is the picture. Thanks.

Attachments

As long as only the outer black cover was chewed off and the metal braid is mostly normal looking with no deeper damage, a good tape job would probably be all you need. Wrap top to bottom then back up and and extra wrap and you should be good to go.

Frank KK4YTM

As long as only the outer black cover was chewed off and the metal braid is mostly normal looking with no deeper damage, a good tape job would probably be all you need. Wrap top to bottom then back up and and extra wrap and you should be good to go.

Frank KK4YTM
Unfortunately, metal braid was also chewed off along with the outer black cover! :-(

Replace the coax. There is too much damage to the braid.
That's what I thought I would have to do. I was hoping it was usable since the center conductor was intact. Or I can simply use it for a scanner. I wonder what happens if I use it to transmit. I am guessing "RF energy" would leak from that tear.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
If the damage is near one end just cut it off and put on a new connector...but if the coax is "vintage" also it probably needs replaced anyways.

in short, absolutely not.

You should either cut out the section and splice it with connectors and a barrel or get new coax.

Too much of the braid, foil, and dielectric has been compromised and coax is cheap

Quote"
One has to think, what is in the plastic that makes it so good?

The PVC has some sort of salt in it they like.
Thank you, now I remember someone telling me that yeas ago.
And I have seen AC power cords chewed thru but still working, including a flat three conductor one where the copper wire was severed, on a GE base station that quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.