Data base remake

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I like the DB remake and most of the changes I have a few questions.

It appears all airport, Business & Attractions, frequencies are now listed now under this "county agency” TAB rather than the main county page
And also appear at the bottom of the County Quick Jumps box

But.....
The”county agency” TAB has no county agencies listed (I would have assumed this would be were one would find sheriff or county fire, roads?”.

But because they are on the from main page so....
any chance of renaming the "county agency " TAB to "airports & Business"? or something like that?

PS their are no county agencies listed under the "county agency " TABS that Ive seen so far anyway I’ve looked at several states
If this is a work in progress forgive the question.

captclint

Mentor
Ditto. I think this is going to cause confusion unless it is relabled as "other agencies"). Also not sure how this will affect HP and GRE database download.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
All of the vendors - including the HP and GRE databases - will likely need some changes unless they're using the ability to revert to a prior version of the db, which I understand is possible with the new SOAP standard (the Chief addressed this in another thread). It's going to take some time, no doubt. best regards..Mike

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ditto. I think this is going to cause confusion unless it is relabled as "other agencies"). Also not sure how this will affect HP and GRE database download.

This is a good suggestion... we'll look into this.

All of the vendors - including the HP and GRE databases - will likely need some changes unless they're using the ability to revert to a prior version of the db, which I understand is possible with the new SOAP standard (the Chief addressed this in another thread). It's going to take some time, no doubt. best regards..Mike

The only thing that the vendors will have to update is support for Nationwide frequencies. For all intents and purposes the back-end data model hasn't changed.

DPike

Premium Subscriber
Question about new database

I do like the format of the new database but I do have one question. On the MPSCS Trunked system in Michigan when you do a Web Import the sites used to show both the city and the county and now only shows the city. Is there a way to get the county back? It is ok when you are loading local stuff but it makes it tough when you are trying to load an area that you are not familiar with trying to figure out the city closest to the area you are trying to load.
Thanks in advance.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Ditto. I think this is going to cause confusion unless it is relabled as "other agencies").

This is a good suggestion... we'll look into this.

As usual, Lindsay is right on top of things lol. I agree, "Other Agencies" makes much more sense, glad to see it was changed so quickly. It's great when feedback from the community keeps making this place better and better. :)

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I do like the format of the new database but I do have one question. On the MPSCS Trunked system in Michigan when you do a Web Import the sites used to show both the city and the county and now only shows the city. Is there a way to get the county back? It is ok when you are loading local stuff but it makes it tough when you are trying to load an area that you are not familiar with trying to figure out the city closest to the area you are trying to load.
Thanks in advance.

When you say Web import - what exactly are you referring to? Are you doing this in a software package?

Viper43

Thanks in advance.

It's not just Michigan, all the statewide systems are like this now and I like the old way as well, especially when out of state. Interstate travel deals more with counties than some very obscure town names.....Rabbit Hatch????? That sure doesn't help but the county name might. In fact one mapping program I use can't find Rabbit Hatch but it can find the county it's supposed to be in.

OCO

I don't know about other systems, but the MPSCS system has been getting changes lately, changing the location name from (City [County]) to just (City). I know there is a County entry in each record, if you run reports, but if, for instance you look at the presentation in Sentinel, it looks like it was just using the former (City[County]) piece of the record.. I note that the standard PDF report does not show both, but rather just city..

Here's what I saw as far as MPSCS changes and what Sentinel shows right now. They are not from the same areas, but show the formats..

Attachments

• mpscs changes.jpg
    mpscs changes.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 519
  • hpexample.jpg
    hpexample.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 500

Viper43

What software are you using folks??????

It doesn't matter about software Lindsey, when I set up a trip I use several programs, and the DB and when you can't see right away what county a sites in you can't plan to use or not use that site so you don't know if you should DL it or not. Not a big deal for the HP, but it is for memory limited scanners (all others really). Usually what I do for a trip is open up Delorme and have all the counties showing on the maps so I know what counties I'll be going through.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Ok, i see what you are saying.. since we're now showing the county column it looks like our admins are removing that from the site name. I'm not sure what to say about this right now... let me have a further look and give it some thought.

jeffreyinberthoud

Banned
with My arc program the Agency tab ends up showing the airports and Business's
Why not either" simply" add a Misc. tab for airports businesses and attractions and then put the "county agencies " it the County agencies folder

jeffreyinberthoud

Banned
Ya know what would be cool is a tab format altogether for the DB for each county
county agencies local agencies
County law/county fire/county misc. city(local) law /city(Local) fire/local misc
(Kinda like I was trying to do in the colorado county wiki pages)

OCO

Jeffrey::
Looks like we hijacked your thread with a separate County issue.........I'll make this note to Lindsay - Uniden is importing the RR County code, but not displaying it in a separate data item in Sentinel anyplace that I can find. This means that with the next DB export from RR, the MPSCS system will display "local unit of government" but not County in the site information.. Looks like the Wisconsin DBAs have been doing the same updates also.....

Viper43

Ok, i see what you are saying.. since we're now showing the county column it looks like our admins are removing that from the site name. I'm not sure what to say about this right now... let me have a further look and give it some thought.

I know... were a difficult bunch eh? lol. Guess we get used to something and when it's suddenly changed we see why certain things just were easier before. Otherwise I think the new setups pretty descent.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffreyinberthoud

Banned
Jeffrey::
Looks like we hijacked your thread with a separate County issue.........I'll make this note to Lindsay - Uniden is importing the RR County code, but not displaying it in a separate data item in Sentinel anyplace that I can find. This means that with the next DB export from RR, the MPSCS system will display "local unit of government" but not County in the site information.. Looks like the Wisconsin DBAs have been doing the same updates also.....

No worries , sounds like they are aware and more importantly Listening to
us about these issues Im sure they will resolve them

I do like the Tab Idea though

jeffreyinberthoud

Banned
Thats much better on the tabs guys!!!!! It looks great ..................One more idea to consiter....Put the schools and collages under other agencies as well
I always (me thinks Im not alone ) conciter the main page as first responder type stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.