Data noise on DPS in Eastern Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Anyone catch the what sounds data on 155.64 in Post 12? I can't seem get to the display fast to see which repeater it coming across and when I sit the scanner on it nothing seems to happen. It has a low rumble to it.
I figure it from somewhere outside Iowa of course. I am bored because the weather so I have listening more lately.

owenmcc1

Feed Provider
Mike I heard it the other day on the Muscatine (Montpelier) Base. Thought it was an emergency alert at first. Not sure what it is exactly.

Owen McCormick
KE0NOF
Anyone catch the what sounds data on 155.64 in Post 12? I can't seem get to the display fast to see which repeater it coming across and when I sit the scanner on it nothing seems to happen. It has a low rumble to it.
I figure it from somewhere outside Iowa of course. I am bored because the weather so I have listening more lately.
think i found it... 155.43 or 154.92?
155.430 is what I've heard them on before.t

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Haley

Loud and clear over here in Marshall county. Been hearing it for months----so bad I have to lock it out. And as I type it's not there, just heard a dispatch call. Mike

dreg

Premium Subscriber
I was listening to the same thing the other day but was thinking that they were doing some testing of the state of Iowa's new radio system coming on line later this spring

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
I'm here because I'm trying to find out more on something similar. This is on LEA (In my area 155.790). The data sounds like packet or APRS. It is going through a repeater with a 192.8 Hz tone. In my area, we don't hear that one too well very often. The closest repeater on that frequency with that PL tone is Terrill LEA, which is some 65-70 miles away. So I'm not sure if this has been going on for a long time and since the band is up, I'm only now able to receive it or if it's just new. It's a short data burst (less than a second) and like I say it sounds similar to APRS. So similar that I wonder if it's a similar system. (or if a ham has a modified radio and accidentally is transmitting on the input to LEA . . .)

mws72

Premium Subscriber
Person I talked with about it and played the file for says it sounds like SCADA. But he was wondering where the master station was, it sounded like just the remote stations. Possible it is on a different frequency.

countryjoeb

Feed Provider
It might be the MOSWIN site in Kahoka, MO. Thats a pretty good haul but if the conditions are just right you might get it. That freq is the alternate control channel.

1CE 1 (1) 033 (21) Medill / Kahoka [P2] Clark, MO 155.385 155.490 155.640a 155.895 171.4375c

Joe Bates
Burlington, IA

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
I find it interesting that each data burst (on 155.790) has a PL tone, but only for the length of the transmission. In other words, I don't think it's a repeater. This must be a simplex transmission. So it's unlikely that it's coming from the actual LEA repeater (in other words, it's probably not on the input frequency of the repeater, but the actual output.)

Status
Not open for further replies.