"Data Skip" on the PSR-500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, my Uniden BC996T has a so-called "data skip" feature (which Uniden describes as: "Data Skip- Allows your scanner to skip unwanted data transmissions and reduces the effect of birdies." I'm wondering if the PSR-500 has similar functionality and I just haven't found it yet?

The reason I ask is that there's a local frequency that has a large amount of voice traffic, but also occasional short bursts of data traffic (I'm assuming that's what it is: it's a sort of "kerchunk" effect that ties up the channel for 30 seconds or so until it finishes). My Uniden manages to avoid stopping on these, but haven't figured out how to do this on the GRE yet.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Airbender:

Thanks for the reply, but that isn't quite what I had in mind. What I was thinking of is a function where the scanner detects if it is receiving voice or data - the "data skip" function I'm referring to would cause the scanner to receive only the voice portion but reject data.

In my case, the particular channel I'm referring to has regular voice transmissions and occasional bursts of data on the same frequency. The data bursts are short (about .5 seconds each) but will go on for 10-15 seconds. It's a minor annoyance.

SAR923

No, the GRE/RS units do not have the data skip function found on Uniden made units. I have an RS Pro-160, which is made my Uniden, and it has the data skip function. I have found it to be a mixed blessing. It will go by some purely data signals, like pager signals, but it will also chop off some weak trunked signals. It also seems to not recognize that some signals, like EOT beeps, are data, and will keep the channel open. The whole thing seems to work better in concept than in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.