• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

"Database".......

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka5lqj

Ok,

I'm getting a tad "tired" of trying to "input" all the information on either an Excel or Quattro 10 spreadsheet. I really need a good (inexpensive) "database" that will allow me to set the "fields" (names and length), sort in any way I choose (frequency, location, state, county, or just certain pages. This also should allow me to print in either "portrait", (normal) or "landscape" wide sideways.

At one time, there was a DOS program called, "File Express 5.0". It did work well, but only displayed 25 vertical lines at one time and didn't print in landscape mode. It WOULD 'sort' in any way I chose. I don't even know if the company still exsist as this was in the late 80's. MICRO$HAFT has probably either bought them out OR run them out of business. There never was a "Windows" version.

Can anyone suggest such a database that might fill my needs?

Respectfully,
73 (Best Regard)

Don/KA5-LQJ
Caddo Parish
EM-32

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Hi Don:

I remember FileExpress! It was one of the easiest databases ever! I found this link using Google: http://www.millenniacorp.com/Expressware/InfoFileExpress.htm

Today, in a Windows environment, probably one of the nicest database programs is FileMaker. Compared to FileExpress, FileMaker is expensive, but very powerful, and complete. You can read about it, and download a free trial here:
http://www.filemakertrial.com/?ovmkt=O5M3PJVLTCEPRD8T2ID54FN20G&WT.mc_id=O5M3PJVLTCEPQ23BA306DIQDE0

Sometimes you can find deals on eBay.

Depending on the version of Windows you're running, you might look at Microsoft Works. It's pretty basic, but the price is right.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
As much as I hate to say it, but if you have Macro$carf Office, you might consider using Access.

I know you can import delimited ASCII file into it. But then you may have to fix the ASCII info for import. Field lengths can be set, record type identified, sort order is pretty unlimited.

Disadvantage. It's made by Macro$carf.

I miss DBase III.

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
LEH said:
As much as I hate to say it, but if you have Macro$carf Office, you might consider using Access.

I know you can import delimited ASCII file into it. But then you may have to fix the ASCII info for import. Field lengths can be set, record type identified, sort order is pretty unlimited.

Disadvantage. It's made by Macro$carf.

I miss DBase III.
It may depend on the version of MS Office. MS Office 2003 Academic omitted the Access database application.

I hear ya on dBase! I started using dBase-II on CP/M systems back in the 80's. When DOS came around I moved to dBase-III, then IV. MS FoxPro 9 is a current product, and is a dBase clone. You can pick it up on eBay for around $70.00. There are some on-line sites that sell it as well. I don't think it's used in the U.S. too much. Not sure why.

Status
Not open for further replies.