Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Now that Scan Chattanooga is gone, I think searching the RR database should be free to everyone.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It already is. You need a premium membership only for certain functions, such as downloading data into software for programming scanners, PDF based reports, ect.

73 Mike

SCPD

QRT
After I select the state, enter the frequency then click on "Retrieve", I go to a page with this:

NOTE: This section (Searching for Identified Frequencies) is available only to Premium Subscribers of the Web site.

Please see Subscription Information for more details.

Click on the Paypal logo to update your subscription to Premium status immediately
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your subscription status:

You are not a paid subscribing user to RadioReference.com.

See the subscriptions page for more information on how to become a subscribing user and the features/benefits provided to premium subscribing users.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As Lindsay says, searching the database as you're doing is a premium (i.e. paid) feature. To be honest, I had forgotten that it was...I've had my subscription for awhile now :.>>

It's quite inexpensive, and if you're doing lots of searches, or programming, well worth it.

The URL for the subscription plan is: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/subscription/

73 Mike

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
mrrandb said:
Now that Scan Chattanooga is gone, I think searching the RR database should be free to everyone.

Hell, forget free. Lindsay should PAY US to use it because of this!!

Seriously...why would Lindsay make that feature free just because Scan Chattanooga is gone? I don't get the correlation. Why shouldn't it have been free when my livetelevisionfeeds site went down? Or why not make it free because the PSR500 came out? Or because today is Wednesday? Maybe it should only be free on days that begin with T, how about that? OK, I'm going a bit overboard but hopefully you see my point.

I suggest, if you don't want to pay for that feature, that you create your own "Scan Chattanooga" website to replace the one that closed down. Then, you can charge for or give away whatever you like. I contemplated my own site like RR just for AZ but I just don't have the time to devote to it right now and the RR database is pretty darned good already, so I wouldn't be able to offer much more.

-AZ

mjthomas59

I recall at the beginning of the "premium subscription" offering, there was a lifetime membership available to those that had donated X amount of dollars in the past. I believe there were also "pro-rated" plans available for those who had donated Y amount of dollars but less than X dollars.

I believe i've let my premium subscription lapse at this time because i've already programmed the 10-something number of scanners i own. That being said if it were reasonable i would be interested in a lifetime membership as it is an awesome feature to have when importing frequencies into Starsoft or ARC software, but the $30 just doesn't seem worth it if i want to change/add data on 1 scanner(like for a trip or whatever).

Heck there may be a week membership offered, i should probably look before i say anything. But if there isn't it might not be a bad idea.

Also a pricetag on a lifetime membership would also be nice.

Thanks for keeping the viewing of the database free, that alone is invaluable!!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

I appreciate the comments and feedback, however as you can probably imagine a "lifetime" membership isn't something that I can accurately accomplish on this site, other than maybe you telling me your age, I calculate your life expectancy in years, and we multiply that times $30.

Seriously, lifetime memberships really don't exist in the online world.

Also, please remember that there are a number of additional features available for premium subscribers other than the download to your scanner abilities, such as searches across the database, PDF and CSV downloads, watch lists, etc. And MUCH MUCH more is in store this year for our premium subscribers.

Warm regards,

Lindsay

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
blantonl said:
Folks,

I appreciate the comments and feedback, however as you can probably imagine a "lifetime" membership isn't something that I can accurately accomplish on this site, other than maybe you telling me your age, I calculate your life expectancy in years, and we multiply that times $30.

Lindsay, I believe I have found the solution to this whole thing.

According to www.deathclock.com my last day on earth will be Tuesday, August 3, 2038 at the ripe old age of 66. So therefore my lifetime fee would be $900.

Simply have everyone who desires lifetime membership pay according to the output of the DeathClock with the provision that, if you die and you have unused subscription time, it will be prorated and added to the subscription of a user of your choosing. Problem solved. :D

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.