Databursts on BNSF Road Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I had determined that the sounds I heard was the answer back tone on one of the local dispatch towers. Most use a standard 1000 or 1200 Hz. tone, for whatever reason (programming error?) that tower used a data burst instead.

EOT's on BNSF use the standard 457.9375/452.9375 pair.

shotguns7

I had determined that the sounds I heard was the answer back tone on one of the local dispatch towers. Most use a standard 1000 or 1200 Hz. tone, for whatever reason (programming error?) that tower used a data burst instead.

EOT's on BNSF use the standard 457.9375/452.9375 pair.
Fair enough. Norfolk Southern does use vhf for eotds

N9JIG

Sheriff
I think they have pretty much done away with the old 161.115 EOT devices on NS since they took over the CR lines. I used to like listening for them with the DTMF tones, they would display on my CD-1 decoders!

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I think they have pretty much done away with the old 161.115 EOT devices on NS since they took over the CR lines. I used to like listening for them with the DTMF tones, they would display on my CD-1 decoders!

From what i've read, those old VHF EOTs were replaced many years ago. When I have been close to active NS lines, i've heard the UHF EOT frequencies in use.

But, I've seen in the FCC grants that NS has apparently been reusing the old 161.115 EOT frequency for another purpose. Unsure what it might be.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

Unfortunately no one ever came up with an EOT decoder like we have now; might have been fun.

From what i've read, those old VHF EOTs were replaced many years ago. When I have been close to active NS lines, i've heard the UHF EOT frequencies in use.

But, I've seen in the FCC grants that NS has apparently been reusing the old 161.115 EOT frequency for another purpose. Unsure what it might be.

Yep, NS got rid of the old Southern-style EOTs pretty quickly after the Conrail merger (which was 20 years ago, believe it or not) and switched to the standard UHF type as used by every other railroad. I have a sneaky suspicion the old EOT frequency may be used around here for crossing status notifications to local 911 centers; I've heard data bursts on that frequency in some locations, but not anything like the DTMF of the old EOTs.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Those would be nifty if CSX had them in use. But with CSX, E-911 Only knows if a crossing is Out of Commission, or blocked, or malfunctioning if its called in or a Public Safety person notifies them.

Status
Not open for further replies.