Dauphin Co. Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Does anybody else have trouble receiving the Fire Cos' channels in Dauphin Co on 33.xxx? I can get the dispatch, but for a few days I am not able to listen to the firemen's radios.

Do I need a new scanner...I'm using a Radio Shack Pro 2050.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
It's a simplex system -- no repeaters. So you'll hear dispatchers just fine (becasue dispatch uses high-power base stations on tops of towers on tops of mountains). BUT, you won't hear field units (mobiles and portables) unless you're close to them (within about a mile).

So, no. Your scanner is fine. Its just the way the system works. If you're new to scanning, I suggest the Radioreference Wiki (link at top of page) for more details on scanning difference types of systems.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
any word on if they will ever use vehicular repeaters with the new system...I checked the other part of the site of Dauphin Co, but I didn't see if they are using repeaters.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
Twister_2 said:
any word on if they will ever use vehicular repeaters with the new system...I checked the other part of the site of Dauphin Co, but I didn't see if they are using repeaters.

Dauphin County's *NEW* system (P25 trunking system) won't require vehicle repeaters because it is being engineered for portable coverage.

Currently, a few departments utilize vehicle repeaters for the current lowband system.

Mattsenft

Premium Subscriber
Twister 2, I saw from another post that you live in LPT. You can program 460.625 in your scanner to be able to listen to most activity on fire 1. The frequency I provided is a UHF crossband link that you should be able to pick up anywhere in the township.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
Mattsenft said:
Twister 2, I saw from another post that you live in LPT. You can program 460.625 in your scanner to be able to listen to most activity on fire 1. The frequency I provided is a UHF crossband link that you should be able to pick up anywhere in the township.

Thank you for the information on the other channel. I will probably put up a scanner antenna or two up with my Antron on my chimney when I need a new scanner...whenever that will be.
I thank you all for your help and keep the great information comming!

Status
Not open for further replies.