Davis & UC Davis moving to Sac system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt1331

Premium Subscriber
The city’s current 5-channel radio system was installed in 2004 and is due to go end-of-life in 2017.

After careful review, both UCD and the City came to the conclusion that combining on one system and joining the SRRCS made the most operational and financial sense. One system broadcasting on two towers (UCD on the west side of campus and the City at the Police Department in eastern Davis) would cover the entire city and campus without the coverage gaps
of the current system.

As a member of SRRCS, the City (and UCD) would have access to a state of the art, regional radio system which would improve radio coverage throughout the City of Davis and UC Davis
jurisdictions, providing seamless radio interoperability with fire, police and local government agencies in the Sacramento region. This improves and enhances public safety’s ability to communicate with outside agencies while working joint operations and incidents.

http://documents.cityofdavis.org/Me...as/20161101/04E-Radio-Replacement-Project.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I'm going to guess they'll go straight to the new P25 system instead of the current system.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I like this idea and wish Roseville would do the same thing. It's all one big metropolitan area and the best "inter-op" is to have everyone on the same system.

I could see Davis switching whenever they want to since the present system can handle P25 (think Los Rios). But agree it makes most sense to just move onto the new Sacramento system.

mcjones2013

Radio Communications Enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
I like this idea and wish Roseville would do the same thing. It's all one big metropolitan area and the best "inter-op" is to have everyone on the same system.

I hope this happens. Their system is going to run it's course here soon, so they'll be in the same position as Davis having to look at their options. I think joining SRRCS would be best for them due to the close proximity with Sacramento County and the common interaction with SSD and CHPD. A purchase (or keeping if they already have them) of APX7000 radios would allow them to keep their interop with other Placer County agencies and national interop channels.

KG7PBS

That's great hope it works well. Maybe they can get the county to join too add a few more sites.
Then the system can live up to its name Sacramento Regional radio communication system.

Status
Not open for further replies.