DC 2013 Inauguration

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyPager

Are the mods going to create a new sticky for the 2013 Inauguration?
I hope to have some new information to share next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyPager

The Park Police will be using the DOJ IWN system which is fully encrypted.
National Parks will be using the freqs posted in the DC DB in the clear. Anything else you find, write it down for future use and don't forget to submit it to the DB if you can identify it.

W2NJS

Correction to previous post...

I'm betting that almost all radio traffic will be encrypted for this event.

I've been advised by a person who is involved in Inauguration comms that the Capitol Police and the US Park Police will be using their analog VHF FM systems during the event. Capitol Police are not due to switch to a trunked system until several months from now. If US Park uses the DOJ IWN system that will be in addition to their usual four VHF channels. I would start by listening on 166.925/127.3 to see if any special events are being handled there, and then going to channels 1, 3, and 4 to check out those frequencies.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Maryland Dept. of Transportation (MDOT) and State Highway Administration (SHA) users active today on the Maryland FiRST system talking about prep for Monday. TGIDs 8114, 8561 and 8562 were testing (may have been others).

Probably won't know more until Monday....

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
Maryland Dept. of Transportation (MDOT) and State Highway Administration (SHA) users active today on the Maryland FiRST system talking about prep for Monday. TGIDs 8114, 8561 and 8562 were testing (may have been others).

Probably won't know more until Monday....

Interesting, were you able to pick up FiRST from southern Anne Arundel/PG area?

SkyPager

USPP will be lending their channel 3 to another agency starting at 0000 HRS 1/20 until 0000HRS 1/21. All comms encrypted on that frequency. The vast majority of their ops will be on the IWN. About 100 loaner portables are given to the various support police agencies to co-ordinate activity. As well as 100 Nextels, and a dozen satellite phones for upper command officers.

troymail

Silent Key
Interesting, were you able to pick up FiRST from southern Anne Arundel/PG area?

Not in this case -- but the activity was heard on the Anne Arundel and Baltimore sites. I believe there is a staging/setup/testing environment near the BWI airport which s why alot of activity is heard in this area.

Having said that, I have detected the Anne Arundel site as far south and west as the eastern end of the ICC (Rt 200) just off I-95. Additionally, a couple of users were in constant communication a few days ago - one was traveling into Anne Arundel (Rt 100 @ 97 was among the locations mentioned) and the other was traveling towards Sykesville (or beyond). They were discussing how far the coverage went and which tower might be the one in use in the southern Carroll County area - Rt 40, Pikesville were mentioned.

I guess the point being is the range seems to extend farther in some cases than we think.

Given the connectivity isn't all radio (fiber, internet connected, etc.), I would not be surprised to see something pop-up along the Maryland borders with DC - probably mostly highway/traffic management. (Note: based on activity in the past, Motorola has demonstrated using the Md FiRST system to communicate from Maryland back to Motorola in Illinois).

I've locked out all of the "usual" talkgroups on Md FiRST looking for "non-standard" activity.

Last edited:

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
DDOT

DC traffic webcams - Pennsylvania at 17 is busy with ped traffic now - updates every 3 seconds (usually)

freqhopping

136.375 has been active with the DHS aircraft. OMAHAs 1 though 4. They just did a shift change. There were probably be persistent surveillance all the way through tomorrow.

freqhopping

Lots of federal activity for a Sunday night. Doing some searching and finding freqs I have not previously received. One is 172.8125 NAC 4C5 in the clear, so it should be National Parks related. Any ideas?

freqhopping

No sign of a CAP. The SFRA closes at 1000, the News1 helicopter keeps getting reminded of this by ATC. If there is going to be a CAP I should be hearing something soon.

0925- That's funny, two minutes later and the tanker ZOMBIE01 is now checking in with NORAD on 260.9, fighters will be SONICs.
0940- SONIC31 is with ZDC 281.4 and now checking in with HUNTRESS 260.9 and chatting with ZOMBIE01 about the WX.
Tanker says at their assigned alt they are in the clouds and can't refuel there, asking HUNTRESS if they would be able to go lower. They might be able to go up to FL250, but would prefer 1-2k lower. IMC up to FL250.

0950- JENA33 FBI Cessna 206 leaving Manassas, will be operating at 7500ft throughout the duration.

0952- WIZARD calling HUNTRESS for a radio check. 228.9
Nothing heard there but a quick of my NORAD stuff just caught them on 364.2 WIZARD-ALPHA
0955- WIZARD-ALPHA providing aircraft tracks to HUNTRESS 364.2

1030- ZOMBIE01 talking to GUARD DOG trying to extend the CAP to FL270 and/or to the south about 15 miles so they are out of the clouds. They want more room for refueling. 350.25

1120- The CAP was cleared up to FL270. GUARD DOG is now asking about when they might be able to go back lower so than can plan for the proper staffing on the ATC side.

Last edited:

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Status
Not open for further replies.