DC Fire Dept Terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithw14

Hi there. New to scanning in DC and the terminology and unit identifiers are somewhat different than the city I am from.

Is there a good link or post somewhere that explains not only radio terminology for DC Fire Department but also explains their apparatus terminology? For instance with apparatus terminology – here is what I have gathered:

-Engine, Truck, Air Unit, Hazmat, Fireboat, Foam, TAU, Command Units, Canteen unit, rehab unit, battalion unit – self explanatory.

-Rescue – This is like a heavy/technical rescue unit? Not a transport unit I gather.

-Squad - ?

-Ambulance – This is a transport unit I gather.

-Medic unit – What type of unit is this and how is it different from an Ambulance?

-“Basic” – I hear this being dispatched – not sure what this is. I assume it is some sort of medical vehicle – but not sure.

-EMS unit – is this an EMS supervisor?

A few more questions:

What is the full time regular staffing for each type of apparatus?

Are there some personnel that operate apparatus at a station full time that also staff other apparatus at their station when that unit is needed? (for example, are the hazmat and rescue units fully staffed by their own personnel or does a stations engine company personnel staff these specialty units when needed?

Do engine companies always respond to medical calls?

Are truck companies every sent on medical calls?

Does DCFD exclusively transport their own medical patients to hospitals on medical runs or does any private ambulance company partner with them for response and transport?

Thanks for your help!

-William

n5ims

Some of the differences may not be what type of equipment is driven to the incident, but what levels of certification are the folks that staff that equipment. Some of them may just have basic first aid training and are generally sent out on assist calls (invalid needs assistance getting out of the bathtub type calls). They may increase through several levels until the highest level of certification. The levels of certification go from the least trained EMT-B, on to EMT-I, then EMT-II, and finally EMT-III.

While I don't know, they could be something like this:
Basic - EMT-B (handles only the simplest cases)
Ambulance - EMT-I (handles minor accidents and injuries)
Medic - EMT-II (handles more severe accidents and injuries where some medication may be administered inroute)
EMS - EMT-III (handles the most severe cases and can provide more restricted medications)

EMT Certification | can help explain the various levels of certification and what each requires and is allowed to handle.

ResQguy

Meh
-"Rescue Squad" is one of three heavy rescue trucks. The words "Rescue" and "Squad" are sometimes used interchangeably.

-Ambulance – BLS transport.

-Medic unit – ALS transport

-“Basic” – Normally an ALS transport unit downgraded to BLS due to lack of personnel.

-EMS unit – EMS supervisor, EMS1-7 are Captains and EMS8 is a Battalion Chief.

What is the full time regular staffing for each type of apparatus? Engines have 4, trucks and rescue squads have 5. This is minimum staffing, otherwise the unit is placed out of service.

Are there some personnel that operate apparatus at a station full time that also staff other apparatus at their station when that unit is needed? Hazmat 2 is staffed by E12 if needed. Other than that, all units are independently staffed.

Do engine companies always respond to medical calls? No, only higher priority calls or if EMS units are delayed.

Are truck companies every sent on medical calls? All the time.

Does DCFD exclusively transport their own medical patients to hospitals on medical runs or does any private ambulance company partner with them for response and transport? Private EMS is only used for special events.

ResQguy

Meh
Some of the differences may not be what type of equipment is driven to the incident, but what levels of certification are the folks that staff that equipment. Some of them may just have basic first aid training and are generally sent out on assist calls (invalid needs assistance getting out of the bathtub type calls). They may increase through several levels until the highest level of certification. The levels of certification go from the least trained EMT-B, on to EMT-I, then EMT-II, and finally EMT-III.

While I don't know, they could be something like this:
Basic - EMT-B (handles only the simplest cases)
Ambulance - EMT-I (handles minor accidents and injuries)
Medic - EMT-II (handles more severe accidents and injuries where some medication may be administered inroute)
EMS - EMT-III (handles the most severe cases and can provide more restricted medications)

EMT Certification | can help explain the various levels of certification and what each requires and is allowed to handle.

DC only recognizes NREMT-B, NREMT-I and NREMT-P. Currently, the Intermediate and Paramedic levels of care are the same protocols.

Status
Not open for further replies.