WS1080: DC jack on back of GRE/RS/Whistler Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

to2way

Premium Subscriber
Scanner had a shunt and fell of a chair.

DC jack on PCB was damaged (J301)

Anybody know of a source or 3rd party for these ?

Whistler says they do not sell/stock internal parts for these

Blackswan73

Take the opportunity to fit a standard jack, not that special Whistler thing.

/Ubbe

It is not a special Whistler jack GRE was using it for GRE and RS scanners before Whistler ever even thought about making scanners. It is actually a quite common plug and jack found on many laptop computers. They can be found on eBay, Digakey, and Moseler. It is a standard part.

scansalot52

If we're still talking about 12v 2.1 inside and 5.5 outside....except we've changed from jack to plug.....
I think it's found on CCTV cameras and their power supplies too.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=5.5mm 12v power supply

I think the RCA Universal PS found at Menard's, Meijer's and other places, include that plug in the package.

If you still have the vehicle cable and plug for the scanner, you can also hook it up to a suitable 12v PS, just make sure you have the polarity correct.

This is a no solder connector.....
https://www.modmypi.com/electronics/power-and-batteries/screw-terminal-2.1mm-dc-barrel-plug-male

If we've gotten away from the original question, I apologize for wrong answers based on that post.

Last edited:

AC9BX

The plug/jack on the desktop scanners is EIAJ-05, also known as JSBP 5, othen referred to as a Sony notebook connector.
This is also Radio Shack adapter size T.
This is also Philmore plug model 265 and PC board jack model 214.
Digikey:
cord end plug - PP-016 CUI Inc. | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey
PC board jack - PJ-025 CUI Inc. | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey
No, I don't know for certain if that jack will fit the board or the panel hole.
They are also on eBay.

If the jack on the radio is damaged I would certainly consider replacing it with something different. The trouble is these coaxial power connectors have their voltage and current specifications and some are not rated for this use. That being said, most any of the larger sizes would probably work just fine as they can handle far more voltage and a little more current than what they are rated for for intended uses.

Blackswan73

The plug/jack on the desktop scanners is EIAJ-05, also known as JSBP 5, othen referred to as a Sony notebook connector.
This is also Radio Shack adapter size T.
This is also Philmore plug model 265 and PC board jack model 214.
Digikey:
cord end plug - PP-016 CUI Inc. | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey
PC board jack - PJ-025 CUI Inc. | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey
No, I don't know for certain if that jack will fit the board or the panel hole.
They are also on eBay.

If the jack on the radio is damaged I would certainly consider replacing it with something different. The trouble is these coaxial power connectors have their voltage and current specifications and some are not rated for this use. That being said, most any of the larger sizes would probably work just fine as they can handle far more voltage and a little more current than what they are rated for for intended uses.
Thank you, I couldn't remember the official nomenclature. I just remembered it was used on laptops.

trp2525

Has anyone ever had any luck finding replacement AC adaptors with that correct plug on it?

I'm not sure exactly what AC adapters you are referring to but Whistler does sell the AC adapters for their scanners separately and they will also work with the equivalent GRE and Radio Shack scanners.

Whistler AC adapter for WS1010, WS1025 and WS1040 (also for the GRE PSR-100, PSR-200 and PSR-500 and Radio Shack PRO-106, PRO-404, PRO-405, PRO-649, PRO-650 and PRO-651): https://whistlergroup.com/collectio.../products/ac-adapter-for-ws1010-ws1025-ws1040

Whistler AC adapter for WS1065, WS1095, WS1098 and TRX-2 (also for the GRE PSR-600 and Radio Shack PRO-197 and PRO-652): https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...cts/ac-adapter-for-ws1065-ws1095-ws1098-trx-2

Status
Not open for further replies.