• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DC Remote Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronj06

Hello,

Have a DC remote setup, 6 cpi remotes connected to a cpi DTP, a kenwood 7302. The remotes pick up at very random times, 10-15 seconds of loud static, noise. They can go 2 weeks with no noise, then all of sudden they pick this up 3 times in a day for example. A portable or mobile can be sitting right next to the remote and no noise will be heard on the portable. it only comes across the remotes. it is extremely loud and obnoxious. The radio, term panel and 4 of the remotes are all new. I swapped out the antenna with a diffrent one, and the noise is still heard at random times. Anyone have any idea what could cause this? it has been an issue for sometime. Any ideas or help would be great

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Have you determined if it's the squelch opening on the radio, or is one of the remotes triggering a monitor condition?

If it were me, I'd try to find a way to recreate the issue, which understandably might be difficult.
I'd try tighten up the squelch on the radio a bit if it's not running a PL tone.
I'd try removing DC remotes from the set up to see if there is one of them causing the issue.

Something might be falsing the PL tone on the radio, nearby noise, etc.

These sorts of intermittent issues are a real headache.

aaronj06

Thanks,

We are running a PL tone. I'll give it a shot eliminating a remote one at a time.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Since you are running remotes off the radio, is there a mic plugged into it also? If not then you should have off hook PL decode checked in programming. Otherwise you are in monitor and open to all kinds of nastys.

aaronj06

Not the remotes

Well Off hook decode is checked. The noise happened this weekend, and lasted long enough that they went and unplugged each remote one at a time, but it never cut out the noise. So doesn't appear to be a remote. causing the issue. This was the email I received a bit ago:
"Do you think it would have anything to do with the rewiring that was done when the system was run through our PA system? I don't remember this being an issue before that was done. The other thing is I can't remember if this was an issue before the county went to narrow band either. Not sure if any of that is related but just some things I have thought of." I'll have to find out how exactly they tied into the PA system before.

kb4mdz

Sounds to me it's a radio issue, not a remote issue. Local/nearby interference of some sort, causing the radio to unsquelch, even in PL mode.

A portable next to the radio doesn't hear it? Probably because the base radio has a better & higher antenna, to 'hear' interfering signals that much better.

Separate out your variables, divide & conquer.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna guess you're pulling receive audio from the external speaker jack? If so, when the noise pops up the first thing I'd do is pull that plug out and see if you hear it coming out the radio speaker (along with the busy light on). If that's the case, pull the antenna cable off the radio and see if the noise goes away. If it does then most certainly you're getting grung "off the air".

techman210

RFI/EMI?

Some remotes are terrible when it comes to filtering in the power line, or microphone circuit.

Unplug or remove any electronic devices next to it, or that share the same outlet (if AC powered)... or move them closer to see if you can replicate the problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.