Deciding on a scanner for Marinette Co

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBwhip

All - I am thinking about getting a scanner and need your help. I have used the RR database to find Marinette Co, but cant determine if I need a Digital or Analog scanner. I am interested in listening to everything right now (Skywarn, Marine radio, Air traffic, and anything Marinette/Menominee county [police/fire/etc] has to offer). I don't want to spend a lot of money right off the bat, but I do understand that spending a little more now will save me from having to upgrade sooner.

So the question is - will an analog scanner get me access to most of the frequencies used in this area or will I need a digital?

Thank you!

hightime

An analog scanner will let you hear a lot, in Marinette and surrounding counties. And a digital scanner would not help you when Marinette uses their P25 system, or when Oconto uses theirs. With that being said, you have Forest, Langlade, Shawano, Menominee (Wis), Menominee (Mi) and WISCOM with P25 systems. When I had only an analog scanner, I was always wondering what was I not hearing.

I haven't regretted going ditital.

CBwhip

I am interested in listening to police, but I would also like to use it for the local airport, marine band and the trains that pass through the towns. Will I be able to hear fire and EMS/ambulance in Marinette/Menominee with an analog scanner?

What were you missing when you finally got a digital scanner.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
The decision is up to you, but I'd be leaning towards a current P25 trunking capable unit. The county law system is P25 with frequent encryption, but both the WI and MI statewide systems are P25 also if you have a desire to listen to them. Of course, these type of scanners are "backwards" compatible with normal analog systems as well.

You will be able to program the other relevant frequencies that you mention able also.

hightime

With an analog scanner in Marinette Co., you will hear fire, EMS, routine Co. sheriff calls, Aircraft if the scanner recieves 118 - 136 Mhz, railroad and Marine. You will also hear Menominee Co (Mi) fire, EMS page outs and some police and Sheriff.

If you live in the Northern part of the county you will not hear Dickinson Co. law enforcement other than the dog catcher, you will not hear Mich. State Police or DNR. You will not hear most of the Menominee Co. Sheriff's traffic. You will hear the EMS and Fire page outs, Aircraft and Marine.

For me a P25 capable scanner was a must have, to keep in the know.

Status
Not open for further replies.