BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Delete channels from system

Status
Not open for further replies.

dons1957

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD996XT. my question is if i download a system and don't want to monitor all channels on it, can i delete those channels before uploading to scanner? Or, must i lock them out only?

I have a BCD996XT. my question is if i download a system and don't want to monitor all channels on it, can i delete those channels before uploading to scanner? Or, must i lock them out only?

You can either download the system and edit the file with software - then save it, or delete what you don't want manually in the scanner and save the file to your PC.

What software are you using?

Last edited:

dons1957

Premium Subscriber
You can either download the system and edit the file with software - then save it, or delete what you don't want manually in the scanner and save the file to your PC.

What software are you using?

I'm using Freescan. Second question is... does this include both conventional and trunked systems?

I'm using Freescan. Second question is... does this include both conventional and trunked systems?

Yes for both.

I suggest you download from the scanner - Fine tune the file - Save it - then Upload back to the scanner.

(Repeat if necessary)

dons1957

Premium Subscriber
Yes for both.

I suggest you download from the scanner - Fine tune the file - Save it - then Upload back to the scanner.

(Repeat if necessary)

So, it won't screw a trunked system up? I'm afraid the control channel will see a transmission, then not have the channel it is looking for to output the transmission. . That will not present a problem?

So, it won't screw a trunked system up? I'm afraid the control channel will see a transmission, then not have the channel it is looking for to output the transmission. . That will not present a problem?

You shouldn't mess with a system you're wanting to monitor - trunked or otherwise.

You can always just lockout the stuff you don't want to monitor.

Press lockout twice to permanently lock something out.

.Lockout

dons1957

Premium Subscriber
You shouldn't mess with a system you're wanting to monitor - trunked or otherwise.

You can always just lockout the stuff you don't want to monitor.

Press lockout twice to permanently lock something out.

.Lockout

That is what i was thinking to be safe. I hate locking out with double press because when you do long press to bring them back, all the channels you had locked out come back with them.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
When you are editing a trunked system, the section for the sites and the control channel frequencies, is in a completely different section than the talkgroups AKA channels.

It sounds like you might want to listen to some of the those channels from time to time. If you delete them in the programming, they are not coming back. So deleting may not even be your answer. If it's onsey and twosey channels, going through the keypress process is as good as it gets. If there are groups of channels, then you could move them from group they came in on the download process and move them to their own group and using group quick keys to toggle on/off.

dons1957

Premium Subscriber
This might be the best solution to my problem. Can i just move them to another group in the system? Would free scan software take care of updating the control section to keep track of where i moved them?
Or make my own group to place them in?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Using your Freescan, just create a new group within the System. Then cut and paste those channels from their "original" groups into this newly created group. Be sure to give the new group a Group Quick Key so you can toggle it on/off.

JoeyC

I just read some false information in this thread...

No it won't mess up the system nor present a problem. You can download the entire system then delete every talkgroup or groups of talkgroups except the one you want to monitor and not suffer any consequences. Anybody telling you otherwise is confused. The control channel will see all the transmissions but only play the audio on the one(s) you have programmed and ignore the rest.

dons1957

Premium Subscriber
Once again, thanks so much. That is what i was hoping i could do. This will solve my problem all around. You guys have been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.