Denver Chooses Motorola for P25 Phase II System, Public Safety will be Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I get that P25 is good not denying that
Encrypting Fire is the issue, encryption does decrease the range is my concern, especially in interior attacks.

Not a good feeling when your radio bonks during a flashover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

allend

Premium Subscriber
Maybe Denver Fire should of addressed their concerns before they flipped the switch. The Fire Chief should of knew better not to encrypt their department. At least my life is not in danger when fighting fires in that area. Sometimes bad things need to happen in order for people to re address the issues in a round table meeting.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The Fire Chief should of knew better not to encrypt their department.

Why? Maybe they don’t want their comms streamed. Maybe they feel there is legitimate safety risks of having unencrypted comms.

At least my life is not in danger when fighting fires in that area.

How do you figure your life would be in danger if you were using an encrypted comm system while fire fighting.

Sometimes bad things need to happen in order for people to re address the issues in a round table meeting.

Yet every single day, there are likely millions of PTT’s in encrypted radio systems where nothing goes wrong.

Sorry not buying your, or anyone else’s ‘the Sky is falling’ when it comes to encryption.

I can think of a multi-site, P25, phase 2 system that is 100% strapped encrypted for all users. Police, fire and ems.

It can and is done. And people are not dying because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
It’s an argument nobody will win, hell we had to fight to get a cancer bill made into law so it’s pretty clear system admins and politicians could care less

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
It’s an argument nobody will win, hell we had to fight to get a cancer bill made into law so it’s pretty clear system admins and politicians could care less

So instead your going to keep repeating the BS that encryption reduces range?

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I definitely don’t think it’s bs, several agencies have backed off in response to issues with encryption, not to mention its politics, there are tons of issues, no justification for encrypting fire comms at the potential cost of life, it’s a matter of time

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I definitely don’t think it’s bs, several agencies have backed off in response to issues with encryption, not to mention its politics, there are tons of issues, no justification for encrypting fire comms at the potential cost of life, it’s a matter of time

Many agencies have NOT backed off of encryption, and have no issues with using encryption. Every single day. Millions of PTT’s. No issues.

Regardless of what you ‘believe’, if modern encryption degraded range(it does NOT) that deflation would be quantified, and included in system coverage planning, much in the same way body attenuation is when planning body worn portable coverage.

kv6o

There is defiantly politics around this, and I guess it's no surprise to see folks on a scanner site taking pot-shots at the reasoning and justification. All you have to do is look at Denver's neighbor, Aurora, to better understand why there is an encryption push. The Aurora Theater Shooting occurred before Aurora moved to a fully encrypted P25 Phase II system, and the shooter monitored comms to understand response times and tactics, both in planning and during the event. To them, this IS both a public safety and first responder safety issue.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Time will tell hopefully no lives will be lost, I pray that is the case, anyway I spoke my peace on the matter

KD0DUJ

Many agencies have NOT backed off of encryption, and have no issues with using encryption. Every single day. Millions of PTT’s. No issues.

Regardless of what you ‘believe’, if modern encryption degraded range(it does NOT) that deflation would be quantified, and included in system coverage planning, much in the same way body attenuation is when planning body worn portable coverage.

Denver EMS is no longer encrypted

KD0DUJ

I get that P25 is good not denying that
Encrypting Fire is the issue, encryption does decrease the range is my concern, especially in interior attacks.

Not a good feeling when your radio bonks during a flashover

Also encrypting Law Enforcement is the other issue because it affects neighborhood watch

Status
Not open for further replies.