Denver Chooses Motorola for P25 Phase II System, Public Safety will be Encrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
There are various microwave links running around the metro to support MARC and NetworkFirst. I will assume that the relationships and sharing of resources that takes place between these agencies today will continue across this transition. They just won’t have common infrastructure problems/solutions/knowledge anymore since they’ll have different vendors.

Thayne

Thanks for the info; what you say makes sense, even though the Moto part seems fishy unless it is all based on $$ for Moto---

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Is the new Denver P25 system on the air yet. Any testing ?

I'm not in a position to personally check myself, but I don't think it's online quite yet. Could be online sometime soon though, assuming that Motorola is following the preliminary schedule they gave Denver. Taking down their Mount Morrison EDACS was likely part of the process to free up frequencies and equipment space for their new system.

mkaskavitch

What does everyone think the odds are for encryption on the new system? Will this technology change and Aurora’s recent move be the catalyst to consider encrypting? Denver has said it’s not considering it in recent years, but it seems like all agencies along the Front Range are jumping on the trend.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
DPD will be 100% encrypted on the P25 system.

David628

Premium Subscriber

Bummer.... That’s very sad to hear they want to go 100 percent Enc. I’ve been listening to them since 2001 and really enjoyed it. Lots of great radio traffic over the years that often times showed the true professionalism of their of their officers and how they served the Denver community.

Was there any specific reasoning you can share with us as to why their not leaving just the dispatcher channels open, or is that confidential information?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I'm sure the official reason given will be "Officer Safety."

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Well, this sucks.

Was there any specific reasoning you can share with us as to why their not leaving just the dispatcher channels open, or is that confidential information?
While I don't have any insider knowledge, I think it's safe to say that the Command Staff feels it's an Officer Safety Issue. That seems to be the most common reason for 100% Encryption.

I work in Law Enforcement and think that it's bogus (for general dispatch), but it's very difficult fight that mentality especially when it's so easy to implement with modern radio systems.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Wow! Denver only needs 4 sites, LOL! My little town upgraded their EDACS to a 5 site simulcast P25 system and Denver only needs 4. No wonder Denver went to Motorola.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Is that confirmed, on good authority or are you speculating?

There is not much room left to speculate. There were whispers about it more than a year ago, but has since become idle conversation. A large number of people within Denver know it is coming and are actively working towards its implementation. It has naturally started to disseminate to everyone else.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
History Repeating

Not surprising seeing that Denver has a history of this approach to the scanning and media community since the early nineties.

December 1992 switched over to EDACS with limited media access to DPD Dispatch groups.

Etrunker control channel tracking software, G-Whiz boards and later Uniden and GRE/Radioshack in the late nineties ended the locked out party.

2008 prior to the DNC convention Denver upgrades to ESK.

Again control channel decoding software, Uniden and GRE/RadioShack ended this rather quickly.

Will DPD have the same policy as Aurora PD as in NO media access to L.E. groups?

Will Denver Fire be in the clear? I would hope they will be as all the area Fire agencies currently are.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I so want to move out of this state. Somewhere warm and politically friendly. And by warm, I mean by climate and community. I used to live in a very small town in North Dakota back in the 80's, and while boring as all hell and how everyone knows what you are up to, it's a welcoming atmosphere to me after living in California and now Colorado. This big city life is for the birds. And radio Comms are increasingly becoming out of the hands of the general population. Although, Bismark does encrypt their fire department which I just can't figure that out one bit. Not only is it a fire department, but it's NORTH DAKOTA! Even if it was LA, who cares!

Anyway, Denver is turning into Lil' San Fran in one hell of a hurry, and I could care less. They all learn through implosion.

sudo soupbox mode -off :lol:

mkaskavitch

Very good authority. Enjoy monitoring DPD for the next couple of months before it is gone.

Bummer. That is what I primarily scan. In fact, probably 95% of my scanning is the Denver PD EDACS system. This is a sad trend that is growing rapidly.

I didn't know Aurora PD even said no to media accessing their P25 system. That is really unfortunate.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Very good authority. Enjoy monitoring DPD for the next couple of months before it is gone.

So is the early stage of the new system on the air? I have not run across any hint of it on 800 so far. If they are frequencies would be of value.

The number of subscriber radios for the new system is well over a thousand and that would take an extended period of time to make a cut-over.

I envision Mot would do some extensive testing before the city would consider switching over. It's one thing when it "looks good on paper" it's another when it is "real world".

Then there is the current public works system that is Harris based with, according to some, mixed vendor subscriber radios. I gather that everything tied to this system will be scrapped and replaced with all Mot gear?

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I think the documents stated the new P25 system was supposed to be on on the air by the end of the year. They will be using the same frequencies are they are now.

I'm sure the EEB and the Line Shop will do a TON of testing to make sure the system works as advertised, especially since Motorola said they could cover the areas with less sites. I don't have a clue what will come of the current P25 public works system. Since the new system will be Phase 2, I was wondering if everyone will then be on one system.

Status
Not open for further replies.