SDS100/SDS200: Department Programming Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Programming my SDS100 by hand (keypad). P25 trunked systems. I have no issues with programming the systems and sites. Pretty much like my 396xt and 996xt. However when I program the "department" for each system and I assign the DQK number (always to #1) 1 does not show on the "detailed" screen in the upper left hand corner of the display as DQK 1. The DQK is always the same as the system SQK. Example...I have system 4 showing on the middle line but the DQK that I assigned to 1 (because I want more departments to program later) shows up as DQK 4, the same as the system number. What am I doing wrong or....is there a trick to get it right? Thanks in advance.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The DQK will not show if there is nothing in the department to scan. Do you have the department you are scanning assigned to DQK 4? Site QK's also show up on the bottom line.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I have TG's in every DQK so there is something to scan. I do not have anything accidentally programmed in the same numbered DQK as the SQK. In the case of my system 4 the department number 4 flashes not the number 1 as I have it programmed. I am stumped.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Do you have the site assigned to a quick key? Please give me a list of all the quick keys showing for favorites lists, systems, and departments.

Last edited:

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Similar to my 396XT and 996XT I have the systems and sites programmed as the same numbered QK. ie; system 4, site 4, department 1. The manual is not very detailed - oh my, no way - so I may be mixing up a step not sure.

Also I noticed something last night. I turned off all the systems I have programmed except one. On my scanner it is system 2. I have two sites programmed (there are two sites for this particular county system) also in SQK 2. I have about 15 TG's programmed into DQK 1. I noticed while the scanner was in the SCAN mode (not SEARCH) both the SQK 2 and DQK 2 flash. But as soon as a TG becomes active DQK 1 flashes on the screen, which I expect. This scanner does not act like my other two. I know there is a difference but it appears I am having a hard time trying to figure them out.

I am getting ready to work two back to back 14hrs shifts on an ambulance so I probably won't check in till Saturday evening. Or at least make another reply. Thanks for all the suggestions. Maybe I can figure this out.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Unlike the 396XT and the 996XT, the transmitter sites show up as DQK's. The DQK 2 and the DQK 4 that you see are actually the site QK's for systems 2 & 4 and not departments. You will notice that they flash all of the time because the sites are active even when no talkgroups in the departments are active. I usually assign transmitter sites to DQK's 20 and above, which leaves the bottom 20 DQK's available for departments. Each system can have a combination of 100 department and site DQK's. That means that you will have the upper 80 DQK's available for multiple transmitter sites in large systems. For a single site system, assign the site DQK to none. That will leave the site active anytime the system is on. The same is true for a single department. As mentioned earlier, it is a lot easier and faster to use Uniden Sentinel (with the green icon) for programming. It is required for updating firmware and the database. That is a free download. I program scanners for a lot of firefighters and EMT's and appreciate what you guys do. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions.

Last edited:

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your help and advise. I am old school and have never used software to program and or listen to a scanner. I have been scanning since 1976. I quickly and accurately program my 396xt all the time. My luck would be even with software I would program my sites and systems and departments wrong. Just because the software program is there mistakes will be made. I am sure it happens all the time.

I will re-read your reply when I get a little more time to absorb it. Why oh why Uniden had to change something that was nearly perfect with programming systems-sites-and departments is beyond me. My needs are pretty basic. Program the things I want to listen to and then ….. listen. Progress is one thing. Complicated is another. I hope to read a few more ideas as to what I am doing wrong. And as you say I will try not to hesitate to ask questions.

And thank you for your kind comments regarding PD/EMS/Fire first responders. We usually don't react well to compliments. We all do our best with what we have.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Thanks Scanman1958. I have programmed many a scanner by hand. I have software for most scanners so that I can store the data and have it available to download for any of my local first responders. There is never any charge and that is the least that I can do for the brave people that do so much for me. Try working with the Sentinel software. It is an awful lot faster typing than entering characters letter by letter by rotating a knob. Stay in touch. Jim.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
tvengr

I will try and PM you in the next couple of days. I just have not had time to work with my SDS100 for the last few days. I can say that I still don't understand what I am doing wrong. It can't be that difficult. I have been doing this for years.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.