Determining frequencies used by unknown RF device

Status
Not open for further replies.

onetrueboo

I have a device, thread like. Less than a millimeter in diameter, likely no more than an inch long. Very little metal in it.

It amounts to a sophisticated two-way way radio, inductively powered, like a crystal radio. This device is apparently designed to be dumped into a persons Maxillary sinus, one (conveniently) located next to each eardrum. Once in there all sorts of shenanigans can be played.

I need to determine the frequencies this device uses. How would one go about this? On top of this I don't know what sort of modulation/encoding scheme is being used. I was thinking about trying to design some simple circuits that would generate broadband noise and refine things from there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
This sounds dubious!

but to answer your question, a frequency counter or a scanner with a near-field detector (close call/signal stalker etc) feature.

as far as modulation, i'm thinking FM.

n2mdk

With a scanner that has close call or signal stalker, or a frequency counter if it's out of the scanners range.

SCPD

QRT
Skip the frequency counter

onetrueboo said:
I have a device, thread like. Less than a millimeter in diameter, likely no more than an inch long. Very little metal in it.

It amounts to a sophisticated two-way way radio, inductively powered, like a crystal radio. This device is apparently designed to be dumped into a persons Maxillary sinus, one (conveniently) located next to each eardrum. Once in there all sorts of shenanigans can be played.

I need to determine the frequencies this device uses. How would one go about this? On top of this I don't know what sort of modulation/encoding scheme is being used. I was thinking about trying to design some simple circuits that would generate broadband noise and refine things from there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Don't think the freq counter will work here. Here's how I would surmise it works:
An external device induces a current field into it to read the device. So it won't be generating any rf until a LC circuit in it it gets charged by the reader.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
onetrueboo said:

If you have the technical skills to do circuit design, you have the skills to determine the frequency it operates on. What is the point of this trolling exercise?

D

DaveNF2G

Ask the aliens in the mothership to show you their galactic license for the device.

rhutch

I find the those tin foil BBQ bags work best. You can also make copper coils and stick them in all your oriffices that should block all the signals, but you have to make sure that you put them in all your oriffices.

Northe

If you're serious, the only way I can think of is to use a sweep generator to provide the activation signal and a spectrum analyzer to look for outputs. You might be able to figure out the modulation by looking at the output spectrum.

Take a look at <<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID>>

As you'll see at:

<<http://www.rfid-handbook.de/rfid/frequencies.html>>

There are a wide variety of frequency ranges in use, although I'd start looking at the higher ranges first.

Northe
N6KO
Green Valley AZ

onetrueboo

Thanks for the replies

Given the dimensions of this thing it's something in the microwave range. It's unbelievable. It's both incredibly amazing and nasty. It amounts to an inductively powered cell phone. It's just hard to believe how small they can make these things. What's sad is something that was obviously developed by the state is now being used 'play' and destroy people for no other reason than it's fun and very profitable.

I just don't have the resources to pursue this.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
onetrueboo said:
Thanks for the replies

Given the dimensions of this thing it's something in the microwave range. It's unbelievable. It's both incredibly amazing and nasty. It amounts to an inductively powered cell phone. It's just hard to believe how small they can make these things. What's sad is something that was obviously developed by the state is now being used 'play' and destroy people for no other reason than it's fun and very profitable.

I just don't have the resources to pursue this.

so if you put one of these devices up your but, could someone make you **** your pants by remote control?

dont laugh, it is a serious question.:roll:

K4OC

Premium Subscriber
DanTSX said:
so if you put one of these devices up your but, could someone make you **** your pants by remote control?

Did you know you spelled but wrong? You meant BUTT didn't you?

Now back to work. If you no work you fired !!!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
First of all we have to know if this thing is a transmitter with the CIA spying on you, a receiver of voices in your head disguised as a dog named Sam telling you to shoot people with a .44 Magnum or a transceiver the aliens use to turn you into a mindless automaton doing their bidding. Until this has been determined I can't give you specific instructions but meanwhile I suggest you shove it in your behind and eat plenty of beans, that'll confuse 'em.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
DanTSX said:

If this would work, there are a lot of people on these forums that really have a need for it :)

Mike

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
How well I know, I poop every day and I'm STILL full of it!

"Wouldn't your brain cells go Orville Redenbacher on you?"

Nah, Harlan Sanders has already been there.

OBEY

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
More info needed

K4OC said:
Did you know you spelled but wrong? You meant BUTT didn't you?

Now back to work. If you no work you fired !!!
And your response has some errors in it as well!!! You mean "... you're fired...".

Yeah, since higher frequencies have a smaller wavelength, it would make more sense. I agree with the idea that it is probably powered by external RF inductance. It actually sounds a lot like a larger scale RFID device. The application could range from the device transmitting back a fixed digital code to audio; or perhaps it is just a receiver. To help you out any further you need to supply us with a lot more information, and some pictures. Where did you get this thing?

I'd say buy your post count you should stick it in the microwave at you local minimart, or hit it with a hammer. Both of which should only be done after re-inserting it into your head.

Status
Not open for further replies.