Detroit police to dive back into precincts

Status
Not open for further replies.

WU8Y

From the Free Press, 2 January 2010:

Detroit police have scrapped a plan to ease back into the precinct-style of police patrolling, opting instead for a citywide conversion as early as this spring, officials said.

So far, two districts already have been separated to reestablish the 10th, 12th, sixth and eighth precincts. The Police Department plans to separate out the Northeast, Southwest and Eastern districts next.

The Central District, which covers downtown, isn't big enough to split, Godbee said, though officials might reevaluate it after the other districts are divvied.

I wonder how this move will affect the DPD's talkgroups on the MPSCS.

Detroit police to dive back into precincts | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

macari77

how would that change the department? Now they are just dispatched by the district then go to there on precinct or "desk" channel. Right??

I listed to the Northeast District allot when I worked EMS in Highland Park. There were the 11th, 7th, and 16th (HP) precincts. they all stayed in there own limits and operated like precincts.

Or am I totally mistaken on how Precincts work.
Im an EMS/Fire guy not PD sorry.

Jimmy252

That's how i remember it. I listened to Precincts 2 & 10 quite a bit back in the day, both were dispatched on the same channel, but they operated within their boundries. I doubt it will change MPSCS TGs, because before they had the same amount of analog dispatch channels. The only thing that changes is that each area will be more focused upon because the districts are being divided. Gives officers a smaller patrol area, therefore decreasing response time and giving them more community policing time.

m297

Do you think this separation is in preparation of the MSP pulling out of areas that have their own law enforcement?

??? Huh??? MSP is only responsible for patroling and servicing calls for service on the freeway in the City of Detroit!!

wbiskey

??? Huh??? MSP is only responsible for patroling and servicing calls for service on the freeway in the City of Detroit!!

That is exactly what I was refering to. The DPD will have to handle the E-Way too. Only time will tell, I don't know the answer. If this did happen it would make the MSP available to the areas where there are no local departments.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
That is exactly what I was refering to. The DPD will have to handle the E-Way too. Only time will tell, I don't know the answer. If this did happen it would make the MSP available to the areas where there are no local departments.

DPD can't handle what they have on the surface let alone the ditches.

m297

Don't look for that to happen anytime soon!! I assure you that.

macari77

In Wayne county the Sheriffs department steps in for city's that do not, or can not provide there own police. As in Highland Park until 2008.

When did MSP announce pulling out of the highways in the D??

wbiskey

In Wayne county the Sheriffs department steps in for city's that do not, or can not provide there own police. As in Highland Park until 2008.

When did MSP announce pulling out of the highways in the D??

They have not announced anything, this was just something that I have heard from a reliable source. Like I stated before, only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.