• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Devices That Will Do Simplex Texting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
What are some of my current choices for simplex texting? So, far I know about the following:

-Motorola T800

-Garmin RINO Series

-Motorola DTR Series

What others are available?

Hans13

The Motorola DTR series isn't GMRS/FRS.

If you mean in any service, you can add DMR radios.

n1das

The older 900MHz DTR series had canned text messages that could be sent to other DTRs. There was an external keyboard accessory that could be used to enter custom text messages. The keyboard accessory was also an accessory for several NEXTEL phone models. The keyboard accessory went EOL years ago and is NLA. It's easy enough to customize text messages with the CPS so there wasn't much demand for the keyboard.

The new DTR600 and DTR700 radios which replaced the older DTRs don't have any text messaging capability. Future Phase 2 models might have some text messaging capability. I never used any of the text messaging capability in my DTR650 radios so it's not an issue. People use these radios to talk on instead of texting.

JASII

Memory Capacity
The older 900MHz DTR series had canned text messages that could be sent to other DTRs. There was an external keyboard accessory that could be used to enter custom text messages. The keyboard accessory was also an accessory for several NEXTEL phone models. The keyboard accessory went EOL years ago and is NLA. It's easy enough to customize text messages with the CPS so there wasn't much demand for the keyboard.

The new DTR600 and DTR700 radios which replaced the older DTRs don't have any text messaging capability. Future Phase 2 models might have some text messaging capability. I never used any of the text messaging capability in my DTR650 radios so it's not an issue. People use these radios to talk on instead of texting.

Thank you for the clarification. I do have the keyboard accessory, somewhere in the basement, and it does indeed work with my DTR550s. With a cold weekend ahead here in Minnesota, I might play around with them.

I need to use my programming cable so I can customize my "canned" messages. If I recall correctly, there is a finite number of messages that can be stored. I would probably have something like: "Call me when you can, not urgent." "Call me right away." and "Busy, call you back." or something along those lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.