DFD Loses 6 Preps found by homeless man

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbluemsp

Just on Ch4 News.

Homeless man found 6 DFD Motorola P25 Preps in the trash. He radio'ed dispatch and asked where to return them.

Value $25,000 for the lot. WTF is going on in Detroit with Public Safety?

HTH can someone be so ignorant to toss away 6 brand new radios?

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
That would have been a great call to listen to...

"eh last car calling... and you're who again..."

MetalManMI

Hmmm....wonder where he found them in relation to where they belonged...
If they were in the garbage dumpster outside of the firehouse, I don't think the homeless guy would have had to key-up to figure it out...

They could have been stolen and dumped...doesn't mean DFD personnel threw them away.

On the other hand, it could have been their way of voicing their opinion on the new digital system/radios...."these things are JUNK!!"

Anybody have any links?

MetalManMI said:
Hmmm....wonder where he found them in relation to where they belonged...
If they were in the garbage dumpster outside of the firehouse, I don't think the homeless guy would have had to key-up to figure it out...

They could have been stolen and dumped...doesn't mean DFD personnel threw them away.

On the other hand, it could have been their way of voicing their opinion on the new digital system/radios...."these things are JUNK!!"

Anybody have any links?

Or dept personnel could of placed them there to retrieve later and sell for a profit. Happend at other locations in the past

johnvassel

ALL of the DFD guys I've met have been very upstanding fellows. It wouldnt be the first time something was 'found' by the same fellow who aquired it illegally.
Being that I'm sure there are some ID's programmed in them, it's not likely they were dumped to show what they thought of them. Usually when that's the case, they fall off trucks, get run over..etc.
I would be curious to know if they'd been reported stolen prior to this find.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
Lost DFD preps

A friend sent me an email that had the recording of this radio exchange. I'll see if he still has it and can post it.

Last edited:

MichiganPig

newbie said:
Or dept personnel could of placed them there to retrieve later and sell for a profit. Happend at other locations in the past

I have to say..........I agree with this one 100% Someone was going to pick those up later to sell after shift. It definately wouldn't be the first time.

I also work with DFD quite a few times......upstanding....I wouldn't put them in that status. There are definately a few bad eggs. But just my little opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.