DGPS Beacons

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Have heard that DGPS beacons will eventually go dark, and was wondering if we'll be able to hear marine beacons on the old 285 - 315 kHz band? At this QTH have not heard marine beacons in years, mostly due to the DGPS beacon's strong signals. Anyone still hear marine beacons? I can remember some actually having voice broadcasts, but that was many moons ago.

WA8ZTZ

AFAIK, there are no longer any marine radio beacons on the Great Lakes.
The DGPS stations are being phased out... a bunch more will disappear over the next two years.
There are a number of aero NDBs scattered among the DGPS frequencies. These NDBs
should become easier to DX with the demise of the DGPS stations.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps there are some distant Canadian marine beacons but not sure. One thing is for certain, many Canadian NDBs are heard at this QTH in the winter.

SDRPlayer

Premium Subscriber
I think (unfortunately) that the becons at LW freqs will soon be gone forever.

WA8ZTZ

Everything is going GPS.
However, still lots of NDBs out there.
Hearing lots of Canadian NDBs at this QTH.
Log 'em while you can.

pjxii

I know NDBs will eventually all be gone but for some reason they're being phased out much more slowly than expected. I first discovered NDB hunting back in 2013 but immediately read about them being decommissioned by 2015, that was quite disappointing to say the least. Yet here we are in 2019 now and there don't appear to be many "no longer active" in the last few years as originally thought. William Hepburn's list is very detailed and you'll even find some that state "Back On Air" every so often. 365 kHz Guayaquil, Ecuador is an example, I heard it (and still do) but didn't see it on his list and sent an email. He said that it was thought to be decommisioned but they came back on.
Even longwave broadcast stations are not completely leaving the air like it was expected. Algeria and Morocco show up here often in winter, and last year I logged Monaco on 216. There are a few other European countries still broadcasting on longwave which make a good DX challenge, though they may not last as long as NDBs.
Thank God radio experimenters are now allowed to use longwave, it's become my favorite DX band.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
I know NDBs will eventually all be gone but for some reason they're being phased out much more slowly than expected. I first discovered NDB hunting back in 2013 but immediately read about them being decommissioned by 2015, that was quite disappointing to say the least. Yet here we are in 2019 now and there don't appear to be many "no longer active" in the last few years as originally thought. William Hepburn's list is very detailed and you'll even find some that state "Back On Air" every so often. 365 kHz Guayaquil, Ecuador is an example, I heard it (and still do) but didn't see it on his list and sent an email. He said that it was thought to be decommisioned but they came back on.
Even longwave broadcast stations are not completely leaving the air like it was expected. Algeria and Morocco show up here often in winter, and last year I logged Monaco on 216. There are a few other European countries still broadcasting on longwave which make a good DX challenge, though they may not last as long as NDBs.
Thank God radio experimenters are now allowed to use longwave, it's become my favorite DX band.
Try listening on 518 kHz after dark, you'll hear the warbling tones of NAVTEX transmissions and they are easy to decode using free downloadable software. You will see weather reports, navigation warnings, etc.

GRETSCH43

Spongella, I recently logged a N.J. beacon "RNB" in Millville, N.J. on 364 khz. There are still lots of LF beacons left to monitor...must have a good antenna or loop. Dave K4PBN in Alabama

WA8ZTZ

Sometimes a NDB will go off the air but return sometime days, weeks, or even months later.
The 363 RNB Millville NJ beacon is a recent example. It had been off the air for a while but popped up again
early this month. Heard it here in MI with good sigs.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Spongella, I recently logged a N.J. beacon "RNB" in Millville, N.J. on 364 khz. There are still lots of LF beacons left to monitor...must have a good antenna or loop. Dave K4PBN in Alabama
Yes, at this location it can be heard 24/7.

GRETSCH43

Sometimes a NDB will go off the air but return sometime days, weeks, or even months later.
The 363 RNB Millville NJ beacon is a recent example. It had been off the air for a while but popped up again
I noticed that it had been off for a while. Thanks.

spongella

Premium Subscriber

Am listening to RNB now, coming in loud and clear from Millville, NJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.