Diamond D-130J Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

What BFIFM790 mentions in #3 for grounding would be the minimum, but it would meet code. NEC code requires you ground an outdoor antenna such as you describe with no more than 20ft of 10ga copper wire (8ga if aluminum) to the nearest ground for your house electrical system. A separate ground rod is ok, but it must be bonded to the house electrical system with at least a #6ga copper wire. The first thing an installer for DIRECTV or Dish looks for is not a clear view to the satellites, its where is the closest grounding point within 20ft and then they look for a clear satellite shot from there. I assume the “60hz bleed over from the electrical grid” that was mentioned in another post is from ground loops, there is no 60hz anything that your radio will pick up through the air. Grounding an antenna to something separate from your house electrical is exactly what causes ground loops in the first place. It usually shows up as hum in an audio system when you connect an improperly grounded TV antenna to the FM tuner or TV that is part of the system. My first antenna as kid was grounded separately from the house and there was 90v ac between the antenna lead and the radio which was grounded with a 3 prong plug. When you disconnected the coax it would nearly knock you on your ass. During this time I had a visit from two FCC engineers who wanted to know which radio I was using on the night of … I purposely pointed to a certain radio and the FCC engineer let out a few curses as he disconnected the antenna to connect his equipment. I’m a little more safety conscience now in my old age. Lightning is another topic and the bottom line is you generally cannot protect a home system from a direct hit unless the entire antenna and electrical system was designed with that in mind. Anything else is a dangerous sense of false security.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.