Diamond Discone coax upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

When I got certified as a satellite install trainer, the goal was to ground at the AC service entry point with no more than 30ft of #10 wire. The only place where grounding to metallic conduit was considered was on a commercial roof where there are lots of large metallic conduits available and its far from the AC service entry.

prcguy-w1av asked if he could ground to the electrical at the garage, which I assume leads to house electrical via conduit> So wouldn't that conduit essentially act the same as running a ground wire, but even better if that conduit runs underground to the house? And I also am assuming his garage electrical is already bonded to house electrical.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
If you add a ground rod that is electrically connected to anything that runs off common AC power in your house, you need to bond that ground rod to the house electrical entry point. NEC specifies a minimum of #6 copper wire for this and there are length limitations where you must upsize that wire if the run is over a certain distance. There is no provision for not bonding a ground rod to the electrical entry point due to distance.

If you've ever watched a DirecTV installer put a dish in, they survey the house for two things, a clear shot to the satellites and a short run of ground wire to the electrical panel not to exceed about 30ft.

If your chimney is an ideal spot for a shorter run of coax and ground wire, I would find a way to get the antenna there and ground it to code at the minimum.

So basically if anything is powered from the meter that supplies electricity to anything on your property, regardless if it is in or on the same building or not, it all needs to be connected to a common ground. Correct?

At first I was thinking anything powered from the same transformer, but often multiple houses are powered from the same transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.