Did My SDR Die?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
First time I've experienced this issue and wondering if it is a sign my SDR has died.

Using a Nooelec Nano Three Mini SDR, have several of them and they've been working fine for years. However, today one of the SDRs keeps losing all signals and isn't receiving anything any longer. I've checked cables, antenna, and connections and nothing made a difference. A second SDR is receiving fine, as was the Nano Three, but now the Nano Three isn't showing anything on the FMP24 screen, no spikes, no audio, nothing. Sometimes, it will show the signal for about 15 minutes and then it loses it, even though it is still there, other times it wont find anything at start up.

I'm thinking it died, but before I toss it away and order a new one want to ask everyone's opinion.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
In addition to checking cables, did you try a different usb port? Have to admit, if after 15 minutes it acts up, that sounds like something is not handling the heat inside.

Then again, it could be because your not using a NooElec branded antenna :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
In addition to checking cables, did you try a different usb port? Have to admit, if after 15 minutes it acts up, that sounds like something is not handling the heat inside.

Then again, it could be because your not using a NooElec branded antenna :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yes I did try a different port but I don't have the Nooelec antenna despite their recommendation I would need one :)

I basically agree with you about the overheating issue :(

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Unfortunately of all the various brands and models of RTL based dongles I've owned over the past decade, the only ones I've ever had fail were NooElec brand. The NESDR SMArt models, to be precise, and I believe the death toll is up to 3 or 4 at this point. I was able to get one replaced under warranty because it was just a few months old, but the rest went into the trash. I still have some of my original RTL-SDR.com silver dongles running 24/7 that have outlasted the NooElec by 3-4 years at this point.