• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Difference between APX CPS and Depot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

roguexile

Premium Subscriber
Just to start off, i'm not looking for free versions or anything like that, nor am i looking to learn how to use them. I'm just curious as to the difference between them? Are they separate software or is Depot a more robust version of CPS? I am new to the moto world and slowly picking things up as i go and want to learn as much as i can before i delve into it and empty all my pockets. lol. Thanks for putting up with a newbie question.

N4KVE

Depot is supposed to never leave the factory. But somehow it does. It allows features to be added, but in the wrong hands can turn a great radio into a brick. Questions on how it works are usually not permitted here. Let's just say Depot is CPS on steroids, but it should never be available outside the factory.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Roguexile,

Welcome. N4KVE put it well.

I'd also add that "newbie" an "Depot CPS" are two things that don't go together well. I'd suggest starting with the regular CPS and mastering that. As N4KVE said, Depot software can make it really easy to hose up your radio. It's not something you want to experiment with until you're really got a firm understanding of how the radio works, how the CPS works, and what adjustments you can and cannot make.

Permanently bricking your multi-thousand dollar radio won't be good, and if you send it back to Motorola for repair, they'll know what happened and you'll have some explaining to do about why you have depot tool software that you aren't supposed to. Used to be Motorola really played hard ball with their software licensing agreements. They had a pretty good legal team, not sure if they still do.
I'd just encourage you to keep asking questions, learn everything you can, but think twice before using Depot tool software.

stantorres

Depot, cps, rss

Don't quote me on this but:

RSS is Radio Service Software
-Used by your local Moto Dealer
-Available for purchase by public
-Program one radio at a time
-Can clone one radio to another
-Program frequencies, talkgroups, etc.
-Can be use to tune & align a radio

CPS is Customer Programming Software
-All of the above, plus:
-Intended for system manager at your company/agency
-Can be purchased by public
-Can program the entire fleet over the air
-Also know as OTAR (Over the Air Reprogramming)
-Can be used to add features using Flashport

Depot is the Factory Repair Depot Software
-All the above plus:
-Not for sale to public, agencies, companies
-Allows for major firmware & software changes
-Used to reconfigure the radio after board-level changes
-Can force radio to go out of ranges and limits
-Can damage radio if used incorrectly

As with all software mentioned above, be careful using borrowed/loaned/unauthorized versions. Once you use a particular version, the radio can not be reprogrammed using an older version of software. If you screw something up and have to take the radio to your local Moto shop or if it has to sent to the factory repair depot, you can expect some questions about the presence of unauthorized software in the radio, sometimes not.

Kenwood and Icom make very solid commercial radios and their software can be purchased through a local dealer at a reasonable rate ($60).

cmdrwill

One very good RULE: always read your radio and store that data, AKA 'codeplug', in a separate archive. That way you have something to fall back on.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The main thing about depot is the depot uses it to re-initialize boards and make them match the tags. Depot can be used to shove codeplug into the radio and other things. It can really screw up the radios if not used properly which is why people generally don't recommend using it for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Don't quote me on this but:

RSS is Radio Service Software
-Used by your local Moto Dealer
-Available for purchase by public
-Program one radio at a time
-Can clone one radio to another
-Program frequencies, talkgroups, etc.
-Can be use to tune & align a radio

CPS is Customer Programming Software
-All of the above, plus:
-Intended for system manager at your company/agency
-Can be purchased by public
-Can program the entire fleet over the air
-Also know as OTAR (Over the Air Reprogramming)
-Can be used to add features using Flashport
-Allows for major and minor firmware updates

Depot is the Factory Repair Depot Software
-All the above plus:
-Not for sale to public, agencies, companies
-Allows for major firmware & software changes
-Used to reconfigure the radio after board-level changes
-Can force radio to go out of ranges and limits
-Can damage radio if used incorrectly

As with all software mentioned above, be careful using borrowed/loaned/unauthorized versions. Once you use a particular version, the radio can not be reprogrammed using an older version of software. If you screw something up and have to take the radio to your local Moto shop or if it has to sent to the factory repair depot, you can expect some questions about the presence of unauthorized software in the radio, sometimes not.

Kenwood and Icom make very solid commercial radios and their software can be purchased through a local dealer at a reasonable rate ($60).

Goof breakdown, but RSS and CPS are mutually exclusive. The is no RSS for X-Series or the APX. It is strictly CPS for both of those Dealers and self-supported end-users.

I also added one extra item to your CPS breakdown.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
With admissions of using software that is not in the public domain I think we're done here.

Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.