Difference Between Base and Portable Models (SDS100 vs SDS200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
What is the difference between the base and portable models of scanners in term of reception? What makes the base units "better"? (Or is it just that you can connect a giant antenna on your roof to them?)

With regard to the SDS 100 and SDS 200, it looks like they have the same specs/features. What is really different about them?

n5ims

While you can't honestly provide a blanket statement, in many (most?) cases the portable version and the base/mobile version of a radio have the same circuit board(s). The base/mobile will probably have better sound because the case size will allow for a larger speaker and/or room for better acoustics design. The base/mobile also may have an additional circuit board to convert the 12v DC input voltage (typically) to match the 6v DC power from the 4 AA batteries typically used on the portable version. This is done because a single design and manufacturing platform is less expensive than having two for radios that are nearly identical except for the case design. This also allows both the portable and base/mobile to be released at the same time.

There are some radios where the base/mobile radio will have special features (like wi-fi or removable front panel for example) where they have different designs. Often these different designs are released at different times and/or have different feature sets.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
in many (most?) cases the portable version and the base/mobile version of a radio have the same circuit board(s)

Really? A handheld takes small circuit board crammed into the housing, where a mobile scanner usually has a larger circuit board(s) across the inside.

I highly doubt the circuit boards will be "the same"

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Generally speaking, there's no performance difference between a portable handheld scanner and it's base/mobile cousin, and you can connect an outdoor antenna to your handheld as easily as your base. Many reviews of various models of scanners across multiple decades has shown that. As others have pointed out, the speaker is of course smaller in the portable. But in either case, connecting an external speaker nullifies that difference. Whether the SDS100 equals the SDS200 in performance will only be borne out by time.

scannersnstuff

Generally speaking, there's no performance difference between a portable handheld scanner and it's base/mobile cousin, and you can connect an outdoor antenna to your handheld as easily as your base. Many reviews of various models of scanners across multiple decades has shown that. As others have pointed out, the speaker is of course smaller in the portable. But in either case, connecting an external speaker nullifies that difference. Whether the SDS100 equals the SDS200 in performance will only be borne out by time.

Yes, Very true. In my scanner heyday, I wasted money on base and portable version's of the same scanner. Having a portable has it's advantage's. It can be used as a base/mobile. when the power fail's <and it eventually will>, throw in a set of batteries.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
What is the difference between the base and portable models of scanners in term of reception? What makes the base units "better"? (Or is it just that you can connect a giant antenna on your roof to them?)

With regard to the SDS 100 and SDS 200, it looks like they have the same specs/features. What is really different about them?

In terms of reception, keep in mind that good reception always depends on a good antenna. I have both the SDS100 & SDS200 and there is hardly any discernible difference when I have them both on the same rooftop antenna. Altho, I do seem to notice that the 200 fares a bit better with distant signals just enough to be noticeable. They both have their place - 100 as a portable battery operated, and 200 as base station.

As previously mentioned, the base units are considered better because they are bigger with better sound than a handheld scanner, and the option you already mentioned - you can connect to a giant antenna on your roof. I use my SDS100 as a base station scanner continuously charged in case of a power outage. With today's complicated communications systems, it's sometimes a better listening advantage if you can employ a couple of scanners to monitor the same system so as not to miss much.

There are a few design differences, but for the most part they are Big & Little brother with the same SDR technology and colorful displays. They are both top-of-the-line radios and a great addition to anyone's radio shack.

JD
kf4anc

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The answers to the question dont really serve a purpose. Because it’s obvious one is portable and the other is not. And since both radios are of the same series, the differences are physical, not technological. A better comparison would be the SDS200 vs BCD536HP or the SDS100 vs BCD436HP.

However, I will offer this... with the SDS100 there is/was a heat concern (the heat is still present but the concern may have diminished). The radio will heat up when on. (This is NOT a battery recharging issue.) You can feel the heat on the upper backside of the case. I’ve been told this heat is generated by the SDR microprosser(s). (Scanner Master did some research on how NOT to interfere with heat dissipation in the design of their aftermarket heavy leather carry case before they offered it for sale. (Glad that they did because it allowed for the use of the swivel belt clip so commonly used on previous scanner models.) Another case, a soft case was offered by some dealers but it sported an open back (apparently to allow for heat dissipation) which eliminated the swivel belt clip attachment-just no place to mount it!).

bob550

Premium Subscriber
The answers to the question don't really serve a purpose. Because it’s obvious one is portable and the other is not. And since both radios are of the same series, the differences are physical, not technological.
Most of the posts in this thread don't really address the OP's original query, which only relates to the reception performance of said scanners. He's facing the same question we've all faced over the years: do I want a handheld or desktop/mobile scanner, and will I have regrets over my ultimate choice. The answer for most simply lies in whether you want the portability or not.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Most of the posts in this thread don't really address the OP's original query, which only relates to the reception performance of said scanners. He's facing the same question we've all faced over the years: do I want a handheld or desktop/mobile scanner, and will I have regrets over my ultimate choice. The answer for most simply lies in whether you want the portability or not.

Not me I got Both!

mrhermit

Premium Subscriber
Do either of these scanners have a convenient mute button like the Home Patrol scanner has?

Ubbe

I haven't really seen a mute button on anything that have conventional easy to use rotary volume controls.
It's only seen on devices that have push button up/down toggle volume or other slow to use controls.

I really would like to see a scanner (SDS500?) using a touch screen with configurable softbuttons both at top and bottom in the display and in full color, like the HP1/2. Then any issues with keypad backlight and buttons wearing out would be non existing. Just add one rotary controller dial for volume and select functions. Why can't modern proven and reliable mobile phone technology, like enviromental controlled contrast/light display, bluetooth and wifi be implemented in todays scanners? (TRX100/200?)

/Ubbe

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
Digital across the board is the same between the 100 and the 200. Awesome! However, I'm finding Analog VHF/UHF reception may be a tad better in the 200. The included antenna for the 200 suffices but if I use a dedicated 800 antenna, it pulled in one of the distant counties 800 digital system that my 996P2 is silent on.

mrhermit

Premium Subscriber
I haven't really seen a mute button on anything that have conventional easy to use rotary volume controls.
It's only seen on devices that have push button up/down toggle volume or other slow to use controls.

I really would like to see a scanner (SDS500?) using a touch screen with configurable softbuttons both at top and bottom in the display and in full color, like the HP1/2. Then any issues with keypad backlight and buttons wearing out would be non existing. Just add one rotary controller dial for volume and select functions. Why can't modern proven and reliable mobile phone technology, like enviromental controlled contrast/light display, bluetooth and wifi be implemented in todays scanners? (TRX100/200?)

/Ubbe
It was disappointing that the screen was not a touch screen on the SDS 200 like the Home Patrols. My ICOM IC-7300 Transceiver has a nice touch screen that is a bit bigger then the SDS200 so I don't see why Uniden did not go to touch screen. Maybe in the future Uniden will come out with a Home Patrol III version.
If I want to mute my HP436, I just press the MENU button on the side of the scanner. To unmute I press the SYSTEM button on the front. I assume could do the same for the SDS100. On the SDS200 I guess it would be just as easy to turn the volume knob to mute the sound as it would to press a MUTE button.

Status
Not open for further replies.