Digital, or Analog, Uniden BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdospec

I am confused here.... do I get a digital or keep my Uniden BCT15X i just got, for $111 I'm in a small town and have 2 counties or 4 nearby, Chippewa, Eau Claire, clark and Taylor, do I really need a digital scanner yet? this was such a good deal I thought till i read about all of this and now I'm confused.. I need some serious advice here... ZIP CODE 54727

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
That scanner should work for your county for now as it all appears to be analog. Click on the system link below to see everything you will miss by not having a digital scanner.

You won't be able to listen to Wisconsin Interoperable System for Communications (WISCOM) which is all your state agencies, and the county agencies who have or are about to switch.

It appears that Taylor has switched to WISCOM with Dunn and Rusk in the process, the others are still analog for now. I would start saving for a digital scanner though.

Also keep an eye on local news articles pertaining to new radio systems and check in the WI state forum here on RadioReference.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The BCT15X does P25 so he should be able to listen to that Group .. Or am I mistaken. It doesn't do DMR.
Nope, the 15x doesn't do P25 or Dmr. He'll have to upgrade. :wink: 73, n9zas

N8IAA

I am confused here.... do I get a digital or keep my Uniden BCT15X i just got, for $111 I'm in a small town and have 2 counties or 4 nearby, Chippewa, Eau Claire, clark and Taylor, do I really need a digital scanner yet? this was such a good deal I thought till i read about all of this and now I'm confused.. I need some serious advice here... ZIP CODE 54727

Only one of those four uses the statewide system. Your county, and the other two are still analog. You got a great deal with the 15X.
Are you that interested in listening to the statewide system? If so, don't go spending a large amount of money getting a P-25 capable scanner. Plenty for sale that don't have a high dollar price. You should look for a Pro-197, BCD996XT, or a similar scanner if you want digital. It also depends on how much of a hard core scannist you are. Since it seems that you are beginning, try the 15X to see if that's what you want.
Be patient, and stay the course. There will too many wanting you to spend your money:D
Larry

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
vdospec
If you got a good 15X for $111, I would keep it. If later you find you need digital, save some money and get the digital, but keep the 15X. The 15X is great for civilian and military air, and here in Los Angeles, lots of marine and low VHF activity.
If you really get into scanning, you will probably want at least a second scanner. At $111, you got a bargain. I would keep that one even if you do go digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.