Digital Scanner advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bojangle

I am looking to upgrade to a newer scanner and want to know if a digital scanner is necessary for my area. I live in Southern Utah St. George area and I use a BCT15X analog Uniden. Without knowing what the future holds for this area I want to make a wise purchase. Any advice is welcome....

Gary

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I believe this is the database entry for your area:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=2803

At first glance, it looks like *most* of the services in your immediate area are using analog conventional (FM) or analog trunking which your Uniden BCT15X can already receive. I see a NXDN and a DMR system used for businesses and utilities. Depending on what you want to listen to, I am not sure there is much digital in your area to monitor.

There are also some Public Safety agencies in Nevada that are using a P25 Phase 1 trunking system (Southern Nevada Area Communications Council - SNACC). If you wanted to (or could) listen to these, you would need at least a P25 Phase 1 digital scanner.

What types of services are you interested in?
Are you considering a handheld or a desktop model (similar to your )?
What is your budget?

bojangle

Digital Scanner question

Thanks for your reply Steve.
My scanning interest is primarily public safety. I have been reviewing the Uniden 996p2 scanner for the upgrade. Will this work for the P25 Phase 1 digital service? What would you suggest?

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply Steve.
My scanning interest is primarily public safety. I have been reviewing the Uniden 996p2 scanner for the upgrade. Will this work for the P25 Phase 1 digital service? What would you suggest?

Oh yes. The Uniden BCD996P2 not only receives analog but can decode P25 Phase 1, P25 Phase 2 and with paid upgrades, DMR/MOTOTRBO ($60) and Provoice ($50) digital modes.
As a bonus, this model operates very similar to your BCT15X so there should be very little learning curve.
For more information see: https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.