Digital scanner antenna suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bouges18

I just purchased a Home Patrol 1 scanner to use in my vehicle and am curious for suggestions on the best antenna to use for a Phase 1 system as well as some older analog frequencies. I would prefer a NMO mount which I already have. Thanks for all advice.

Voyager

Forget digital. Antennas have no spec for digital or analog - just frequency. Any antenna that works well on analog will work on digital. As you didn't mention any frequency or band, any recommendation is not possible.

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
Plus + 2......on The Larsen NMO150/450/800......... It's Also a Low profile antenna, so your wife wont knock it off your car while going in The fast food drive Thru's.

Voyager

The same antenna on a mag mount on a filing cabinet or other metallic surface.

majoco

Stirrer
....and if you ain't strong enough to move the filing cabinet (or don't have one?) a steel cookie sheet works just as well.... and you may get some long forgotten cookies..... :roll:

johngenis

My Window Antennas

This thread is very similar to one we are having on Facebook. I have some of my antennas mounted to coffee cans.

Attachments

• IMG_4920.jpg
    IMG_4920.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,241

johnptfisher

Premium Subscriber
Antenna Question

The Larsen antenna is mentioned as being a good antenna for a range of wide band freqs. I want to use it for a little of everything. Ham/Analog/digital/ and P25 systems. Will this antenna work for all of these???

blackbelter

Larsen Tri Bander the best antenna ..I also have a NIL JON antenna which works well.

Attachments

• H0-006501A.jpg
    H0-006501A.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 659

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The Larsen antenna is mentioned as being a good antenna for a range of wide band freqs. I want to use it for a little of everything. Ham/Analog/digital/ and P25 systems. Will this antenna work for all of these???
An antenna does not care if the signal is digital or analog, but it does matter regarding the frequency. I have that particular Larsen and it works best around 150 MHz, 450 MHz, and 800 MHz, thus its name. It picks up various amateur radio repeaters (HAM) rather well on the 2 meter and 70 cm range.

When propagation makes a visit, I can hear (HAM) stations working 6 and 10 meters FM mode on my scanner in the car. Still, you should not expect that antenna to work well for frequencies below 144 MHz.

Do not use analog, digital, ham, nor P25 when you are researching an antenna. Be concerned with the "frequency" the antenna covers. A wide band antenna like that Larsen works well for the various frequencies it covers. When I want to listen in on "frequencies" from 40 to 6 meters (7 MHz to 54 MHz), I use a different antenna that I can tune to the particular band (frequencies) I want to hear and talk on.

A wide band antenna can also be a poor choice if you mainly listen to a specific frequency range. Let's say you want to listen to various military aircraft in your area. An antenna that mainly covers 138.0 MHz to 400.0 MHz would be best. A wide band antenna would allow other radio waves it is tuned for to possibly be received and interfere with the frequencies you want to listen to. There is also a concern with antenna gain, but I'm not going into that.

Sometimes it is best to use an antenna that works for a specific frequency range, and sometimes you need to compromise and use an antenna that will allow you to hear various frequencies reasonably well. While I listen to quite a bit of military aircraft with the Larsen antenna, I also need it to cover an even larger range of frequencies. There are alternatives, but then you will have something called an antenna farm. Now I do not have a problem with multiple antennas, but some people do. Certainly no one on this forum has a problem with multiple antennas. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.