Digital Threshold: Automatic versus Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecarvalho

I would first aim the antenna due west, slightly to the south of that nearest tower. Maybe try with the attenuator on as well. How did you get the radio into the Analysis of LCSO mode and what do the three bar graphs mean?

Hello
The analysis menu on the 536 is under Menu --> Analysis (I think) then enter the system name... in my case Loudoun County... I entered LO and it found it in my favorites ... Im very vague now because Im downstairs and my radio is upstairs so Im not looking at the menu anymore as I should to properly guide you.

BTW these are the meanings
S = SIGNAL
Q = QUALITY
A = ACTIVITY

Thanks for the suggestion. I will build a test yagi and try pointing as suggested.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
what do the three bar graphs mean?

Signal Quality, Quality (of decode I assume) and Activity on the site for the last one. That is your SQA in order of appearance.
It's not as good as the one in the HP-1 or 2 but it is better than nothing!

To get into that mode, just select Analyze from the radios menu and then press enter and select System Status and on the next blank screen waiting for a system name, just hit Enter and it should populate with the system you are currently scanning or searching. It helps to have been scanning or searching a trunked site or sites before you hit menu and scroll to Analyze!
It may show you a couple site names at that point so just select the site you want and it will bring up the bar graphs for that site.
I think you can also type the name of one of your favorites if you want to analyze one you were not currently scanning when you hit analyze. Not positive on that though as I've always been searching a trunked site when I hit menu and then Analyze.

You do of course need one of the more recent firmwares in the radio but it was added before ProVoice became available so has been around for a while now.

One or both of the first two bar graphs will bounce around pretty well if you are getting reflections or signal level changes due to a reflection or something like a tree swaying in the wind causing the signal to drop or rise in signal strength.
The last reading, the site Activity will increase and decrease as users are using or leave the site so that one is normal that it rises and falls with the amount of users actually using the site.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Hello
The analysis menu on the 536 is under Menu --> Analysis (I think) then enter the system name... in my case Loudoun County... I entered LO and it found it in my favorites ... Im very vague now because Im downstairs and my radio is upstairs so Im not looking at the menu anymore as I should to properly guide you.

BTW these are the meanings
S = SIGNAL
Q = QUALITY
A = ACTIVITY

Thanks for the suggestion. I will build a test yagi and try pointing as suggested.

I would try both suggestions for your antenna aim.
If you have a good directional antenna with good rejection to the side, the west site may be your best aim but I did not look at the sites actual antenna aim direction so you really want the nearest one that aims at your home location.
Trial and error may be the best answer. I must aim at a reflection from a nearby building in the winter months when the leaves have fallen from the trees! That reflection gives me perfect decodes in the winter months but makes things horrible when the trees are green in the summer.
That's a crude example of how picky an 700 MHz or higher signal can be!
They reflect off of objects and are also attenuated by leaves on a tree in the summer. You can often use that knowledge to your advantage with a directional antenna.
An indoor antenna can be tricky though as it will pickup reflections from objects in your home. It only takes a few milliseconds of timing difference to throw off a digital signal unless one is well attenuated. That is the trick, try and attenuate all but one towers signal for the least simulcast distortion.
Lots of patience and trial and error!

edit: as pro92b mentioned, an aim slightly off center direction may give you a better decode rate as you are still aiming at the site within the antenna's beamwidth but are also further nulling out the northern sites. Now if that site to the west is using directional transmit antennas (as most simulcast sites do) then it may be aiming its signal away from you so the northern sites may give you the better signal as darunimal suggested. I think the FCC site for that stations call will show you the antenna aim and height and all that stuff. That can come in handy for calculating which site may actually give you the best signal. You need to keep clicking the links until you are actually on the FCC site though as the license info displayed at RR does not contain that much detail.

Edit2: I tried following what I said above and I could not see the transmit antennas aim direction unless I overlooked it. I know I've seen it listed for other simulcast sites though.
That could mean they are using omni pattern antennas or they simply did not submit this info but it is usually listed so the frequency coordinators know if the proposed site may cause interference to a neighboring site. I only look at Site 3 though so the antenna aim direction could be listed for some of the other locations that I did not look at. Site 3 may be using an omni antenna.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Based on my location in the center of this map, to get rid of simulcast issues, to which tower would you suggest I point to? This image is of the simulcast towers near by.
Source: WQKP621 (LOUDOUN, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

Are you sure this license info is even correct?
It says it expired back in 2013!!

They may have a newer license with better location info and a different call sign as well as antenna aiming azimuth and beamwidth listed as none of the sites on this license show that info for any of the locations.

I would not think a county like Loudoun would be operating with an expired license!

edit: This link is active and may be more accurate but I still did not see antenna aiming azimuth or beamwidth info. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WPRS263

Last edited:

ecarvalho

Are you sure this license info is even correct?
It says it expired back in 2013!!

They may have a newer license with better location info and a different call sign as well as antenna aiming azimuth and beamwidth listed as none of the sites on this license show that info for any of the locations.

I would not think a county like Loudoun would be operating with an expired license!

I copied the wrong page.
The new license expires 2026 if I recall correctly. Same locations tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I copied the wrong page.
The new license expires 2026 if I recall correctly. Same locations tho

I see that now. I searched on their name and they have several licenses that are active including one 9or more) with the same basic locations and several microwave links!
I figured it was just a copy and paste mistake after I saw all the licenses they hold.

You seem to be correct on the expire year. I saw some dated in 2025 and 2026.
So your location data from the expired license should still be accurate.
I did not pay attention to the frequencies but maybe the expired license was from before rebanding and the current license may show the frequencies they are using now if they did reband back in those days.

Kind of an interesting system! I know I've seen that system mentioned here several times so it must be an interesting system to monitor!

Good Luck with your attempts at better reception. Sometimes that is great satisfaction when you find something that works, especially if it is something you built.

edit: where did you get the desktop discone in your picture or do you have a link about it? It is interesting looking and looks like it is setup for transmit on several frequencies with all the various vertical whips it has attached to it!
I can't tell for sure but it looks like your desktop discone may have a magnetic base. I wonder if you had it sitting on top of a steel filing cabinet may help it by giving it a ground plane under it. If you have something with a large steel surface you can place it on, it may help pull in the Loudoun signal better. Even sitting on top of a little refrigerator like a dorm room fridge may help.

Last edited:

ecarvalho

Desktop discone:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...in+discone&dpPl=1&dpID=31UiDe8t-EL&ref=plSrch

I'm not sure the base is magnetic but I'm almost sure its not. I can check tomorrow. This antenna is not intended for transmitting.
It came from the UK and works great except for Loudoun S.O. lol

Thank you- I will test with a home made Yagi and continue from there with my manual threshold adjustments.

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
Thanks to you both for the explanation of Analyze. I could not find mention of it in the Uniden users manual since it hasn't been updated. The Easier to Read manual mentions it but just says Analyze will be out soon. Firmware 1.06.10 dated 4/10/2015 added Analyze. The only document that is at all specific about it is the Menu Tree spreadsheet. I don't have much experience with the Home Patrol series so the HP1 history was unknown to me.

KD1UA

Premium Subscriber
I'm not allowed external antennas and I don't have an attic. The picture is from my desktop discone.

Is there a directional for desktop use? I could build one I suspect

3bd3ac4ba568aebeec92e6bad00a1ea3.jpg

Where did you get that desktop antenna. ??

Whoops just saw the above thread.

D

darunimal

Like I said, the most frugal and quickest thing you can do is use the stock antenna and point it northerly and horizontally, on the the same plane as the desk. I'd try that before anything else.

ecarvalho

Like I said, the most frugal and quickest thing you can do is use the stock antenna and point it northerly and horizontally, on the the same plane as the desk. I'd try that before anything else.

Will do.
Also had a certain rate of success with the attenuation

Status
Not open for further replies.