Digital transmissions on UCAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
I'm considering purchasing a digital-capable scanner such as the Uniden BC396t, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it at this point. Is there any digital traffic on UCAN? Also, if the so-called digital support is for APCO-25 systems, would that even apply to UCAN since it's a Motorola trunked system? Is the UCAN system able to break out some conversations on digital transmission, and is a digital-capable scanner typically able to follow these sub-conversations?

Just trying to justify the digital capability of the BC396t versus the analog, but still reband-capable BC246t.

Thanks!

Utah_Viper

I have a Pro-106 Digital Scanner and it does follow the digital tranmissions fine. there are not many on UCAN but its good to have the capability.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Welcome back to the Utah Forum of RR.com​
bhall7!​

You haven't posted in the Utah Forum since March of 2003, so a welcome back is in order.

To answer part of your question, several of us have digital capable scanners and they have been handy to have. A couple of the agencies using UCAN have digital TGs and our scanners have been able to copy them just fine, with the exception of Life Flight which is not only digital, but encrypted as well. Having a digital capable scanner is only getting ready for the future because any agency, at any time, could go digital and all of the digital capable scanners conform to the APCO-25 requirements.

Although this does not answer all of your questions, I hope it helps.

Now please help us. I urge you to return to your User CP (left side of the second blue bar from the top of any page) and edit your profile by filling in a location (city & state) so it will automatically show in each of your posts. We have so many members that we cannot remember where they are located and many of the questions and answers depend on location. All of our Utah members are showing a location, so it is only a small courtesy for you to also show yours.

Again, welcome back.

kf7yn

Hello Brian, good to see you are still around. We go waaaaaaay back to the beginning of trunking in the SLC area. The only active digital TGs in use now are Midvale PD (Car to Car) and West Valley Narcs. Not much in the big picture. The BC396t is a nice scanner, the Pro-106 and GRE PSR-500 are also excellent, and a few Pro-96's are still available for $250 or so on closeout.

Highpockets

Hello Brian, good to see you are still around. We go waaaaaaay back to the beginning of trunking in the SLC area. The only active digital TGs in use now are Midvale PD (Car to Car) and West Valley Narcs. Not much in the big picture. The BC396t is a nice scanner, the Pro-106 and GRE PSR-500 are also excellent, and a few Pro-96's are still available for $250 or so on closeout.

Being a guest in the Utah Forum, I hate to ask this question ,but, how long is waaaaaay back? :)

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
I'm considering purchasing a digital-capable scanner such as the Uniden BC396t, but I'm not sure if it would be worth it at this point. Is there any digital traffic on UCAN? Also, if the so-called digital support is for APCO-25 systems, would that even apply to UCAN since it's a Motorola trunked system? Is the UCAN system able to break out some conversations on digital transmission, and is a digital-capable scanner typically able to follow these sub-conversations?

Just trying to justify the digital capability of the BC396t versus the analog, but still reband-capable BC246t.

Thanks!
Very occasionally the UCAN engineers use their digital TG also.
FWIW there is a very good 700 MHz Digital system in Idaho that can be received in Cache CO. Likely much of Idaho will be on it soon.

Wally

kf7yn

Steve... I would say waaaaaay back is a couple thousand years. Okay so I exaggerated, I really meant waaay back in 1997 when I started trunking with an Optocom and a Pro-90. Brian was part of our group in those days when we were figuring out how it all worked.

Being a guest in the Utah Forum, I hate to ask this question ,but, how long is waaaaaay back? :)

Highpockets

Steve... I would say waaaaaay back is a couple thousand years. Okay so I exaggerated, I really meant waaay back in 1997 when I started trunking with an Optocom and a Pro-90. Brian was part of our group in those days when we were figuring out how it all worked.

My god, I'm getting old, if 1997 is waaaaaay back. :(

qlajlu

Silent Key

You're both just youngsters.

N7YUO

Come on, if you think about it, in 1997, Windows 95 had been out for two years. I bought my first computer then. I didn't really find a good local
scanner discussion group until December 2000. Jon invited me to join an exclusive discussion group. Salt lake County and Salt Lake City were already on 800 and many other cities had 800 MHz frequencies licensed.

Then Steve Proctor and Company, aka UCAN, usurped all the frequencies and created the network that we now enjoy listening to.

So when I look back to those days, when some of us were just learning how to use the computers, that is way back in terms of the groups.
But I have been scanning for 41 years, so for me, way back is sitting in my bedroom with a converted FM table radio manually sweeping the dial.

bneilson

Premium Subscriber
As stated above digital is a nice to have. For me the GRE 500 vs the 300 I like the function and operation for the 500 better so the digital came as a plus.

UCAN is digital capable as we know but they charge a ton for a digital TG so a good portion of the agencies have resisted. But if money starts to flow again who knows...

The other thing to think about is other system. Yest there is more out there then just UCAN. For example the federal system is almost 100% digital. Also if you are ever going to travel out of the area. The Idaho system was mentioned. Also Colorado has a statewide similar to UCAN that is 100% digital.

If you are just going to listen to UCAN and you are looking short term, it is hard to justify the increased expense of digital alone. For me, my digital also came with additional features over the non-digital version.

bhall7

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for the comments! I think I'm going to hold out for the BCD396XT (due out at the end of the month). I just sold my BC245XLT and BC780XLT and I can't wait to upgrade.

As far as my identity is concerned, perhaps I am being confused with another Brian Hall. I was a BYU undergrad (starting in 1997, but I don't think I was involved with the group yet--however, I did get my first scanner in 1997, a Pro-51). Jon, you were one of the first radio enthusiasts I made contact with in around 2000 or so and got plugged in with the 7202 Y! group. I moved out of UT to TX in 2003 (hence the last post in '03), and I'm back at BYU getting my MBA. It's great to be back in UT.

Brian Hall
http://www.bhall.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.