Digital trunked radio system failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerri

Link

Unsure if this has been posted but my search won't work (Unsure if it's my browser being a pain or if it is the site).

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
So he has a list of about 30 incidents where there were communication problems on digital trunked systems.

I'd like to see the list of how many times there have been problems on conventional analog systems......

SLWilson

Again...

As I've said before, a digital radio system is only as good as what you put into it. If you don't do your homework and test in all areas of your jurisdiction (at street level with portables) for proper operational service with the system, YES, there will eventually be trouble.

That said, same thing goes for every other type of radio system.

If you are using a conventional low band radio system and have 5 watt portables and are several miles from the base station, don't expect to be inside of a structure and TALK BACK to your base. You better hope someone AT THE SCENE can hear you OK because your dispatcher sure won't !

To fix that problem, many departments (police, fire and EMS) have added Mobile Radio Extenders (MRE's) to their vehicles. But again, you are LIMITED on the distance you can go AWAY FROM your vehicle and still get through.

Every technology has a drawback. When you use the equipment long enough, you learn what those drawbacks are and try to work within their limitations....

Steve/KB8FAR :roll:

DickH

SLWilson said:
... Every technology has a drawback. When you use the equipment long enough, you learn what those drawbacks are and try to work within their limitations....
Steve/KB8FAR :roll:

And many of the problems can be avoided by educating the users. How many times have you seen someone deep inside a building who can't raise their dispatcher and they simply stand there and keep trying, when just moving near a window might allow good communications?
Or the complaints we hear about the lack of interoperability, when the users don't know they can just switch to the appropriate channel on their radio and communicate.

Smerri

DickH said:
And many of the problems can be avoided by educating the users. How many times have you seen someone deep inside a building who can't raise their dispatcher and they simply stand there and keep trying, when just moving near a window might allow good communications?
Or the complaints we hear about the lack of interoperability, when the users don't know they can just switch to the appropriate channel on their radio and communicate.
However, if you just fell through a floor, or the ceiling just collapsed and you are calling for a mayday, the option of moving closer to that window or whatever is not possible.

SLWilson

I've seen...

DickH said:
I've even seen some beat on their radio (while deep in a building) and pound it on a desk. Like THAT will make it work better.

But, you are right. Locally, we're mostly VHF Hi band. Every agency has every other agency's freqs set up & programed in. Just need to know your channel list & who you want to talk to...

Steve/KB8FAR :wink:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
COBronco said:
What a nut job...

What makes that guy an "expert"

You clearly didn't dig deeper int o his website, did you. Taken from his bio page:

"I am a telecommunications engineer with focus on developing advanced technology for public-safety. My associates and I design, build, maintain and administer radio, telephone and data communications systems for the police, fire and emergency medical sector. We are contractually responsible for more than twenty-five E911 dispatch centers, hundreds of base stations and dozens of radio sites in the San Francisco Bay Area. I live and work in San Mateo County, California."

So, I'd say he's an expert. You know what? You could probably call me an expert, too, since I have a similar job function to Mr. Jones. You know what else? I agree with him 1000%.

Go ahead. Call me a nut job, too. Digital radio systems are not yet ready for prime time. I've been beating that drum for 5 years now, professionally. It's only recently that I've ceased caring whether or not anyone listens.

Status
Not open for further replies.