• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

digital tv question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
hello, right now the channels 2-6 are broadcasted between 59-88mhz, channels 14-21 are somewhere in the 121-174mhz range, what mhz range will the new digital tv be broadcasted in? 700-800mhz?? and will a different antenna be necessary?

N8IAA

ScanTheFreqs said:
hello, right now the channels 2-6 are broadcasted between 59-88mhz, channels 14-21 are somewhere in the 121-174mhz range, what mhz range will the new digital tv be broadcasted in? 700-800mhz?? and will a different antenna be necessary?
If you are asking if you can still receive the tv audio, you won't. It will be broadcast in digital audio. The actual combined signal wil be in digital also. There is a website online that explains everything. Don't recall it, but they have been advertising on broadcast tv alot lately.
Larry

baybum

I just made the transition myself.
Basically, whatever you can receive now with your antenna, you will be able to receive using the converter box. The picture will be crystal clear.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Probably has been said but;

Same antanna

But will need Digital (DV) capable TV or a converter box.

I recieve about a dozen digital channels on a set of rabbit ears. There is a ton of stuff on the subchannels, even a 24 hour movie station, but most of them are in spanish.

I got my federally subsidized converter boxes a couple of weeks ago, YAY! Set-top amplified antennas are getting me all the local channels. Makes me wonder how many I could get with a real outdoor antenna and rotor.

My favorite is the PBS-HD stream I can get from our local PBS affiliate. I get this with a Digital tuner (not the converters) that is part of my home theater PC and system. Also, NFL on FOX-HD was awesome this past season on my 9 foot screen with 5.1 dolby digital!

UFEMTFF

Premium Subscriber
Highlander_821 said:
I got my federally subsidized converter boxes a couple of weeks ago, YAY! Set-top amplified antennas are getting me all the local channels. Makes me wonder how many I could get with a real outdoor antenna and rotor.

My favorite is the PBS-HD stream I can get from our local PBS affiliate. I get this with a Digital tuner (not the converters) that is part of my home theater PC and system. Also, NFL on FOX-HD was awesome this past season on my 9 foot screen with 5.1 dolby digital!
I'd just like to clarrify for everyone who might misunderstand your post...

Digital TV in 2009 DOES NOT EQUAL High Definition TV!!

Obviously, the person quoted has a High Def T.V. with tuner & local stations that broadcast in High Def. If you just have a regular old plain TV and purchase a convertor box, you will be able to receive DIGITAL channels but not HIGH DEFINITION channels.

I've talked to a bunch of people who are under the impression that come February, everything will be high definition and wanted to make sure people know that wasn't the case.

:p

Indeed. Several of my local affiliates are Digital as of now, but NOT HD yet.

The cheap set top converter boxes that are part of the federal coupon program do not output HD--they are specifically for non-HD sets that remain in use after their analog tuners go obsolete.

I am getting the PBS HD and FOX HD signals with an NTSC/ATSC tuner card in my computer, then sending that signal to an HD projector on a 9 foot display.

Sorry if my post was not clearer.

UFEMTFF said:
...awesome...!!!!
It is awesome. It consists of:

Dell Home Theater PC w 4GB Ram and nVidia 8600 GT dual DVI card and NTSC/ATSC tuner
Harman Kardon AVR-247 Receiver with video upconvert and switching
Klipsch 5.1 Quintet speakers with 10" powered sub
Optoma EP 771 projector
Optoma Grey Wolf 16:9 120" screen
Sony DVD/VHS deck
XBox
PS/II
XM radio
Dish Network TV (SD, not HD, they want too much $$ for HD)

All the video sources go into the HK AVR247, and it does all the switching. It also upconverts to 720p anything that is lower resolution, and passes through 720p and 1080i/p. This means there is just a single HDMI connection between the receiver and the projector.

I haven't gotten a Blu-ray player yet, but when I do, I might upgrade the projector to a 1080p model (the 771 is 720p/1080i). But I might wait until the DLP lamp on this one wears out before I do that.

But for now I am very happy viewing regular DVDs with the upconvert feature on the AVR247 they look really great.

The sound is just unbelievable. I had Geek Squad install the speakers for me with in-wall wiring, so it all looks neat and clean.

I bought "The Last Waltz" DVD of The Band's farewell concert, and the first frame of the movie insists that it is to be played LOUD! and I oblige. I also have several concert DVDs, like Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, RHCP, Lyle Lovett, Woodstock, Zepplin, etc. It is almost as good as being there.

I don't use it for regular TV viewing that much, as the Dish Network SD is not all that clean on such a large display. Usually just movies, football games, and the aforementioned PBS HD channel--that looks unreal on the big screen. My son uses it for video games with the Xbox and PSII, and they look and sound amazing.

Most people for whom I demo the system are in absolute awe. And the truth is, my system is at the lower end of the scale compared to some systems.

But I spent a great deal of time researching everything and got some really good deals at BestBuy, and the Geek Squad installation is a good service.

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
UFEMTFF said:
I'd just like to clarrify for everyone who might misunderstand your post...

Digital TV in 2009 DOES NOT EQUAL High Definition TV!!

Obviously, the person quoted has a High Def T.V. with tuner & local stations that broadcast in High Def. If you just have a regular old plain TV and purchase a convertor box, you will be able to receive DIGITAL channels but not HIGH DEFINITION channels.

I've talked to a bunch of people who are under the impression that come February, everything will be high definition and wanted to make sure people know that wasn't the case.

:p
So we have regular analog TV, and we have High Def analog TV. So then we will have regular digital TV, and then High Def digital TV?

ScanTheFreqs

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
thanks for the replies guys, although after 11 posts and 2 links, my question still hasnt been answered, will the digital tv be broadcasted on different frequencies all together? or will they be on their same frequencies, only digital??

UFEMTFF

Premium Subscriber
W4KRR said:
So we have regular analog TV, and we have High Def analog TV. So then we will have regular digital TV, and then High Def digital TV?
Analog TV
Digital TV
High Definition TV (which is digital by definition - there isn't an "analog HD" TV)

Hope that helps.

N1BHH

Most stations barely even have one HI-DEF camera let alone the programming. They have already invested in the new facilities and are getting used to the new technology. There are very few pure HI-DEF stations on the air. Only one program in Boston is HI-DEF and that's "Chronicle" on WCVB, but they still have to convert it to analog for their analog signal.

n5ims

btritch said:
In response to the OP, Digital TV will be broadcast on frequencies higher than that a scanner is capable of recieveing...In the GHZ range..
Sorry, but this is 100% incorrect. (Assuming we ignore the satelite network distribution and microwave STL links).

Digital TV are broadcast using the same channels used to broadcast analog TV (2-69). Currently most stations are assigned two channels, one for their analog TV and another for their digital TV broadcasts. When they shut down their analog signals in Feb, 2009, they must stop broadcasting in analog and only broadcast their digital signal. They must then return one of these channels.

For example, WFAA in Dallas, TX broadcasts their analog signal on channel 8 (180-186 Mhz), while they broadcast their digital signal on channel 9 (186-192 Mhz). KOAA in Pueblo, CO broadcasts their analog signal on channel 5 (76-82 Mhz), while they broadcast their digital signal on channel 42 (638-644 Mhz).

In my area, all the digital signals are being broadcast on UHF channels. Looking at the national list, there are a handful on VHF, but most digital transmitters are on UHF. Whether or not they will stay there after the analog signals are turned off, I don't know.

n2mdk

N1BHH said:
Most stations barely even have one HI-DEF camera let alone the programming. They have already invested in the new facilities and are getting used to the new technology. There are very few pure HI-DEF stations on the air. Only one program in Boston is HI-DEF and that's "Chronicle" on WCVB, but they still have to convert it to analog for their analog signal.
Huh how can that be, I live in Ames Ia every network including ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, PBS and The WB have primetime broadcasts in true Hi-Def. You can't tell me Des Moines is more high tech then Boston is. The news and local broadcasting isn't in HD yet but the primetime and most network sports are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.