• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dinged in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC1

It's people like that who ruin things for everyone else.

Having a radio that is "capable" of transmitting on NYPD frequencies is illegal?
There is probably 300,000 of them in the state, lol.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
"possessing radios capable of operating on NYPD frequencies, in violation of state law"

I guess in the State of New York...it is ?

NC1

"possessing radios capable of operating on NYPD frequencies, in violation of state law"

I guess in the State of New York...it is ?

That state is a mess with their laws, and I would add some are ridiculous too!
Do they have any clue as to how many amateur radios are "capable"?

That is being just a little vague. It depends on how much needs to be done to the radio. Is it simply programming the frequency? Would that be entering the freq through the keyboard, or having to use software to do it? Would it qualify if clipping or adding a component to the circuit board meant it was capable?

If the circuitry is not there, then it is not capable, right? So if the frequency is not programmed, then it would follow that it is not capable. So, having the frequency programmed would mean it is capable, otherwise it is not?

Rred

Apparently the FCC had been screwing around for a couple of years despite multiple complaints about the same guy. OK, RDF is hard in the concrete canyons, there are many strong reflections making it damn hard to figure out where a signal is coming from. And the FCC has no budget for enforcement, even with a Congressman making noise.

But when the NYPD got involved and "interfering with police operations" became part of it...FWIW, the NYPD have a zero tolerance policy on interference. If you come across a deserted cop car, doors open, engine running, and hear gun shots coming out of an alleyway, you WILL be prosecuted if you try to call for help on the radio that is in the car. They are THAT firm about it.

Once the FCC is through negotiating their fine down to nothing, the NYPD will take over and skin him alive on local charges.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
It's about time this guy got locked up. I used to hear him on the UPEN network and a couple of other high profile amateur repeaters in the Philly area. He has a very distinct voice and used different names and call signs all the time. I wonder why he just didn't get a ham license? Convicted felon maybe?

Rred

"I wonder why he just didn't get a ham license?"
Might as well ask why he didn't join the NYPD so he could legally use their radios too.

Looney Tunes. Toys in the attic. Off his meds. Whatever you choose, the bottom line is the same.

KD8DVR

"I wonder why he just didn't get a ham license?"
Might as well ask why he didn't join the NYPD so he could legally use their radios too.

Looney Tunes. Toys in the attic. Off his meds. Whatever you choose, the bottom line is the same.
Plus we already have too many loonie tunes who are licensed anyway....but that's another topic. Looks like he's already doing time. They got that guy convicted fast.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.