Discone antenna choices? No low band needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for a Discone antenna covering staring around 100 to 130 MHz and up to as high as it can be designed and still perform properly. I know there is a approximately 8 to 1 ratio from the bottom frequency to the top with what I assume is a 'smudge factor' that might extend the coverage further. It also must have a N connector.

What I don't want is any of these dime a dozen, typical 'scanner' antennas under $100 or the found everywhere Diamond. On the other hand I don't need some military spec'd model for $500 either.

The only one I found is this;
Kreco Antennas - Broadband Antennas

There is also this, but it has that top low band element that I don't want;
http://www.apexradio.co.jp/713G-DA_e.html

Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

LtDoc

Pick either one. The one that covers the 'low' band can be 'fixed' by removing the 'low' band element. It won't do the 'low' band anymore. Or, make your own?
- 'Doc

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
I realize that by removing that top 'stick', low band performance disappears, but the antenna was designed to operate with it.

I'm looking for one (other than what I listed) that is specifically designed per my 1st post.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
I would hope so for the price.

The Icom AH8000 seems to be a overpriced Diamond DJ130AN by 2 1/2 times. :roll:

I also noticed, Kreco, unlike all these others has 12 elements vs 8.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I have a discone that I purchased from antenna warehouse, I don't think they are around anymore. It was not very expensive and seems to be constructed fairly well, I have it mounted in my attic so it is out of the elements and it does have the low band stick on it. I had not heard of the Kreco model but it looks like would work well. For a non band specific antenna, mine works well.

prcguy

I've had Discones from Radio Shack, Diamond, Workman, Kreco and military units from Harris, RA Miller, Hascall-Denke and Astron.

For the price I say Kreco is the best at around $300 for a 100-800MHz model. The picture below is a 100-800MHz black coated version, look at the 3/8" diameter solid aluminum cone elements and keep nuts. There are 24 elements on the Kreco DIscones.
prcguy

180 views and no one else has any experience with a discone??

Last edited:

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the pic. That version is one version larger (lower frequency) that what I would get and the drawing I saw showed 12 elements sets (12 upper & 12 lower) vs 8 of most other discones which is advantage in itself. Before I order, I will inquire on element count for the different versions.

I'm pretty much sold on this, but I'm not sire if I will go with 400 or 600 LMR equivalent cable.sold on this

chrislxq

Premium Subscriber
This Discone looks impressive. I've always been using LMR 400 on my discone antennas. The right cable makes the antenna!

prcguy

The black version I posted is the 100 to 800MHz model which is what you want for your specified range, otherwise the next model up covers 150 to 1200MHz.
prcguy

Thanks for the pic. That version is one version larger (lower frequency) that what I would get and the drawing I saw showed 12 elements sets (12 upper & 12 lower) vs 8 of most other discones which is advantage in itself. Before I order, I will inquire on element count for the different versions.

I'm pretty much sold on this, but I'm not sire if I will go with 400 or 600 LMR equivalent cable.sold on this

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Its the 150 version that I want.
I have a dedicated 2 meter antenna, so anything below 150 I would have no use for. I do want coverage over 900 though. Actually I would like it tout to 2.5G, but the spread is too great.
The right cable makes the antenna!
That's why I was interested in going to 600, but I don't know if it is too stiff to use.

Problem is, the discone that I already am using 9913 equivalent is above a TV antenna with a rotor using RG11 .

Last edited:

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
No, that is not it. The one I have is a traditional discone antenna. I forget how many radials it has, maybe 6 plus a long center radial for low band. As far as a unity gain omni directional antenna goes, it seems to do the job for me. I listen to Mil-Air on it as well as some local public safety simulcast stuff.

k2hat

Apex Radio 713G-DA Discone Antenna

The Apex Radio 713G-DA antenna is designed to receive across the frequency range of 70 MHz to 3000 MHz (3GHz) employing a compact discone configuration. The small size and relatively light weight design is ideal for installation in a confined space such as an apartment balcony. This antenna employs a low-loss N connector. It is only 41 inches (1.04m) tall and weighs 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg.). It comes with two "U" bolts to fasten to your mast (the support mast shown is not included). It comes with a preassembled 32 feet (10m) RG-58/A/U coaxial cable with a N plug to connect to the antenna base and a BNC plug for your radio receiver. Click here to view 713G-DA Instructions [PDF 350K].

This antenna can be used for for transmit on 144, 430, 904 and 1200 MHz ham bands (under 50 watts).

z~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MP Antenna Super M Ultra Base Antenna 08ANT0861

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.jpg

The MP Antenna Super-M Ultra Base was designed for Ham, Scanner and Two-Way Government/Commercial communications. The new Super-M Ultra™ Base Station seamlessly covers an astonishing receive frequency range from 25 MHz to 6 GHz and transmit range of 88 MHz to 6 GHz. With its ultra wide band capability, The Super-M Ultra™ base station antenna is also well suited for demanding military, first responder, and homeland security applications. The Super-M Ultra™ base station is the gold level standard of two way multi-polarized communications showcasing M-POL™ design and production standards making it one of the best and widest bandwidth base station antenna on the market.

Multi-polarized or M-POL™ Technology provides unequalled wireless communication in “Real World” obstructed non-line-of-site (NLOS) environments. This patented technology results in a stronger, more stable, three dimensional signal that is not possible with any other antenna on the market. For ultimate performance use M-POL™ technology on the receiver and transmitter to reduce problematic dead zones and flutter that is typical of traditional antennas. Experience clearer, more consistent communications with the Super-M Ultra™ base station antenna.

This antenna may be used for receive from 25 MHz to 6 GHz and for transmit from 108 MHz to 6 GHz. Maximum input power is 200 watts below 512 MHz and 100 watts above 512 MHz. This antenna may have a strange appearance, but it provides gain up to 8 dBmp. This antennas is 40 inches tall and 27 inches wide, 2.1 lbs. Please note that mast and cable are both not included. Mounts to a standard 1.25 to 2.0 inch mast with supplied stainless steel hose clamps. This antenna has an N type jack.

For coax try Jefatech.com
I use their 400 Low loss here, but if you want to go bigger go for the 600.

JEFA Tech: Low Loss 600 Cable Assembly

Last edited:

prcguy

The problem with the recommendations below is the advertising for these antennas is beyond stretching the truth. Both antennas may have some reasonable match and may radiate signals above the normal design frequency of a Discone, but it wont be anywhere useful. A dummy load has a good match but it doesn't radiate anywhere useful either.

I've also enjoyed the advertising from MP Antennas over the years where Dr. Whatchamacallit makes up his own Db gain figures. WTF does "8dBmp" mean anyway?
prcguy

Apex Radio 713G-DA Discone Antenna

The Apex Radio 713G-DA antenna is designed to receive across the frequency range of 70 MHz to 3000 MHz (3GHz) employing a compact discone configuration. The small size and relatively light weight design is ideal for installation in a confined space such as an apartment balcony. This antenna employs a low-loss N connector. It is only 41 inches (1.04m) tall and weighs 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg.). It comes with two "U" bolts to fasten to your mast (the support mast shown is not included). It comes with a preassembled 32 feet (10m) RG-58/A/U coaxial cable with a N plug to connect to the antenna base and a BNC plug for your radio receiver. Click here to view 713G-DA Instructions [PDF 350K].

This antenna can be used for for transmit on 144, 430, 904 and 1200 MHz ham bands (under 50 watts).

z~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MP Antenna Super M Ultra Base Antenna 08ANT0861

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/scanants/1628.jpg

The MP Antenna Super-M Ultra Base was designed for Ham, Scanner and Two-Way Government/Commercial communications. The new Super-M Ultra™ Base Station seamlessly covers an astonishing receive frequency range from 25 MHz to 6 GHz and transmit range of 88 MHz to 6 GHz. With its ultra wide band capability, The Super-M Ultra™ base station antenna is also well suited for demanding military, first responder, and homeland security applications. The Super-M Ultra™ base station is the gold level standard of two way multi-polarized communications showcasing M-POL™ design and production standards making it one of the best and widest bandwidth base station antenna on the market.

Multi-polarized or M-POL™ Technology provides unequalled wireless communication in “Real World” obstructed non-line-of-site (NLOS) environments. This patented technology results in a stronger, more stable, three dimensional signal that is not possible with any other antenna on the market. For ultimate performance use M-POL™ technology on the receiver and transmitter to reduce problematic dead zones and flutter that is typical of traditional antennas. Experience clearer, more consistent communications with the Super-M Ultra™ base station antenna.

This antenna may be used for receive from 25 MHz to 6 GHz and for transmit from 108 MHz to 6 GHz. Maximum input power is 200 watts below 512 MHz and 100 watts above 512 MHz. This antenna may have a strange appearance, but it provides gain up to 8 dBmp. This antennas is 40 inches tall and 27 inches wide, 2.1 lbs. Please note that mast and cable are both not included. Mounts to a standard 1.25 to 2.0 inch mast with supplied stainless steel hose clamps. This antenna has an N type jack.

For coax try Jefatech.com
I use their 400 Low loss here, but if you want to go bigger go for the 600.

JEFA Tech: Low Loss 600 Cable Assembly

zguy1243

I'm looking for a Discone antenna covering staring around 100 to 130 MHz and up to as high as it can be designed and still perform properly. I know there is a approximately 8 to 1 ratio from the bottom frequency to the top with what I assume is a 'smudge factor' that might extend the coverage further. It also must have a N connector.

What I don't want is any of these dime a dozen, typical 'scanner' antennas under $100 or the found everywhere Diamond. On the other hand I don't need some military spec'd model for $500 either.

The only one I found is this;
Kreco Antennas - Broadband Antennas

There is also this, but it has that top low band element that I don't want;
ApexRadio 713G-DA 70MHz-3GHz Discone Antenna

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have 3 of the AT-197/GR military models that are impressive in the 225-400 spectrum and does really good up to 500Mhz. The price on the AT-197's has went up in the past couple years in the used market, some fetch up to 350 dollars. I have like many others owned the diamond, radio shack, archer, joes antennas or whatever model discones, all of them built like it was from the dollar general store. I have seen a few of the Kreco antennas and they are super nice.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
The problem with the recommendations below is the advertising for these antennas is beyond stretching the truth.
It's about as truthful as st :roll:ating LCD panels are "LED TV's"!
Add using RG58 for 3GHz is even better.
WTF does "8dBmp" mean anyway?
I was going to ask the same thing. But, there are plenty of suckers out there that buy this crap.

Last edited:

prcguy

The AT-197s that I've had worked down to about 170MHz on the low end and should be useful way past 1GHz. They are very efficient mostly due to the number of elements and good design of the feedpoint.
prcguy

I have 3 of the AT-197/GR military models that are impressive in the 225-400 spectrum and does really good up to 500Mhz. The price on the AT-197's has went up in the past couple years in the used market, some fetch up to 350 dollars. I have like many others owned the diamond, radio shack, archer, joes antennas or whatever model discones, all of them built like it was from the dollar general store. I have seen a few of the Kreco antennas and they are super nice.

commscanaus

Gee prcguy,

That Kreco looks magnificent.

Makes my DJ-130 look like a shredded umbrella!

Perhaps it is time to invest in a lathe and milling machine.

Commscanaus.

Status
Not open for further replies.