Discuss DMR Upgrade Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5JCK

Thanks, cool. I had never heard of iCalls, so I quickly looked it up. Another neat feature of DMR.

BTW, a quick question since someone just commented about Private call. Is it possible to monitor DMR Private calls on the BCD536HP? I know my TYT MD-380 blocked them with the standard FW, but I flashed a jailbrake FW and now it supposedly can RX them. Not sure about the BCD536HP though.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Am I missing something? I have several single DMR frequencies (not sure if part of trunk system) that I just want to enter for scanning. Thought you do that as one frequency DMR site, but it seems to have trunking set up (site, frequencies). Do I just enter any name like DMR XXX and then enter one frequency and perhaps the CC and slot if I know it? I'm getting confused (not unusual for me). Is there any primer out there about this. Am trying to use ARC-536. Thanks.

Steve AA6IO

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Thanks, cool. I had never heard of iCalls, so I quickly looked it up. Another neat feature of DMR.

BTW, a quick question since someone just commented about Private call. Is it possible to monitor DMR Private calls on the BCD536HP? I know my TYT MD-380 blocked them with the standard FW, but I flashed a jailbrake FW and now it supposedly can RX them. Not sure about the BCD536HP though.

Private call and iCall are two names for the same thing.

Jay911

Feed Provider
Am I missing something? I have several single DMR frequencies (not sure if part of trunk system) that I just want to enter for scanning. Thought you do that as one frequency DMR site, but it seems to have trunking set up (site, frequencies). Do I just enter any name like DMR XXX and then enter one frequency and perhaps the CC and slot if I know it? I'm getting confused (not unusual for me). Is there any primer out there about this. Am trying to use ARC-536. Thanks.

Steve AA6IO

Yeah, your "site" is the simplex/single frequency, to put it simply. I leave the color code at search, and the LCN (not slot AFAIK, that happens in the talkgroup ID section) I just make unique to the site. So if I have multiple frequencies in a site, I just use 1, 2, 3, etc., but if I have one frequency per site, they all get LCN 1 (doesn't matter anyway).

Don't forget to turn on ID Search in the "system" configuration so you catch all talkgroups.

GamecockSJ

I'm trying to listen to a Con+ system but I must be doing something wrong. I've programmed in every frequency that is licensed to them because the control channel hops around. The scanner sees that it's Con+, sees the color and slot, but I never hear any voice traffic. ID search and color search are on.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to listen to a Con+ system but I must be doing something wrong. I've programmed in every frequency that is licensed to them because the control channel hops around. The scanner sees that it's Con+, sees the color and slot, but I never hear any voice traffic. ID search and color search are on.

I had the same problem. I made it work by finding the LCN for the frequency. Fortunately for me, the TGID's I wanted to listen to have a lot of voice traffic which made it quick to get the LCN.

coolderb

I'm very impressed with the quality of the DMR decoding of my BCD536HP / firmware upgrade. It's decoding much better than I ever got with DSD+, which always needs a pretty strong signal to decode well. I've discovered that if you already know which channels you want to monitor, and those channels are single frequency conventional, you CAN set it up in Sentinel as it is now by selecting "digital only" for modulation type. It will flash on the screen of the unit the slot # and color code but I find that tolerable until the full rollout comes. Well done, Uniden - well worth $50!

Thanks for that tip. I'm also impressed with the Beta firmware. It has breathed new life into an already awesome scanner and beats the heck out of my cumbersome Winbook/DSD+/SDR stick combo. Well worth the $50 and less than what I was going to pay for a MD-380 radio. Now I have everything in one convenient package.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
LCN matters a lot, and much of what has been previously documented on RR is not correct. A lot of work going on, now, in that regard.

Dewey

When entering a Capacity Plus or Connect Plus site, does each frequency need to be entered one or twice, once for each LCN?

Like this:
471.6500, LCN 1
471.6500, LCN 2
472.5250, LCN 3
472.5250, LCN 4
472.7875, LCN 5
472.7875, LCN 6
Or this:
471.6500, LCN 1
472.5250, LCN 3
472.7875, LCN 5

This: LCN 1, 2, 3 (in the order you posted).

So this is a little confusing to me. Are you saying that there should be two LCNs per frequency due to the slots? I ask because the systems near me show only one LCN per frequency in the RR database. An example would be the Gaylord National Resort: Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center Trunking System, National Harbor, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Differentiate LCN (Logical Channel Number, which we use to designate a frequency) with LSN (Logical Slot Number, which is used to designate a specific slot on a frequency, and is a term I made up).

The scanner uses the LCN which is always going to be LSN/2 rounded up to the next integer (if you have a list showing LSN). Some entries in RRDB have the LSN in the LCN field (you can tell, because every frequency appears twice). Others have LCN in the LCN field (you can tell, because every frequency appears only once).

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
May I propose a simpler solution to determining the appropriate LCN for any given LSN ?

I've seen some formulas that say round up et al.

It would seem to me, and through my testing as an Admin in AZ, that there is a simpler way to determine the LCN for any given LSN.

LCN 1 is comprised of LSN 1 and 2.
LCN 2 is comprised of LSN 3 and 4.
LCN 3 is comprised of LSN 5 and 6.
Continue on down the line to create more LCN numbers.

Ignore, the odd number LCN and simply divide the even number LSN by 2 and you have the LCN for that frequency.

For example, LSN 2 / 2 = 1. LSN 4 / 2 = 2, LSN 6 / 2 = 3.

To me that is much simpler, since the usage of the LSNs is standard, no matter what DMR system you look at.

Hope this helps...

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone else having problems getting LCN Finder to work?

I have both a DMR Tier 3 system and a Connect+ system local to me that carry significant voice traffic, but I can leave the LCN finder running all afternoon or all night and never get more than one or two of the LCN's, at which point the scanner clears them out and goes back to 0.

Jay911

Feed Provider
May I propose a simpler solution to determining the appropriate LCN for any given LSN ?

I've seen some formulas that say round up et al.

It would seem to me, and through my testing as an Admin in AZ, that there is a simpler way to determine the LCN for any given LSN.

LCN 1 is comprised of LSN 1 and 2.
LCN 2 is comprised of LSN 3 and 4.
LCN 3 is comprised of LSN 5 and 6.
Continue on down the line to create more LCN numbers.

Ignore, the odd number LCN and simply divide the even number LSN by 2 and you have the LCN for that frequency.

For example, LSN 2 / 2 = 1. LSN 4 / 2 = 2, LSN 6 / 2 = 3.

To me that is much simpler, since the usage of the LSNs is standard, no matter what DMR system you look at.

Hope this helps...

So I have a Tier 3 system which is describing channel numbers in DSD+ of 1899/1900 for one freq, 1941/1942 for another, and 1985/1986 for a third. What LCN should I put in for each?

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
A customer got me going with this
Run the Remote Control Test Software
Click on RH-536HP_mkII.zip to run the test application. The scanner can be controlled using this remote software.
RH-536HP
with this doing lcn finder on scanner in this program it in 5 minutes displayed my LCN correctly ON the program .

Is anyone else having problems getting LCN Finder to work?ON scanner after an hour never got scanner to display all LCN however in 5 minutes thru this small program it did display on the computer.
Paul can tell us more about it if needed , but for my connect plus worked fast and was correct.

I have both a DMR Tier 3 system and a Connect+ system local to me that carry significant voice traffic, but I can leave the LCN finder running all afternoon or all night and never get more than one or two of the LCN's, at which point the scanner clears them out and goes back to 0.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
So I have a Tier 3 system which is describing channel numbers in DSD+ of 1899/1900 for one freq, 1941/1942 for another, and 1985/1986 for a third. What LCN should I put in for each?
Hello,

I was afraid DSD+ would do something like this.

DSD+ combines the LCN and Slot together in the style of Motorola Capacity Plus. This combination was coined as LSN. You need to divide the upper number by two.

1899/1900 would be 950
1941/1942 would be 971
1985/1986 would be 993

Tier 3, or at least the Hytera Tier 3, I have seen so far uses a frequency map with a base frequency and step much like Motorola Analog VHF/UHF, P25, etc. If this was a UHF system with a base frequency (LCN 1) at 450.000 and a step of 12.5 KHz, for example.
450.0000 + ((950 - 1) * 0.0125) = 461.8625
450.0000 + ((971 - 1) * 0.0125) = 462.1250
450.0000 + ((993 - 1) * 0.0125) = 462.3900

I was able to figure out a couple of voice channels on a local Hytera Tier 3 and then calculate the rest of the LCNs for the voice channels.

73 Eric

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.