Disneyland And Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I spent a week at Disney World this spring and brought my BC396 a couple days. They had no problem with it at all.

Not sure about Disneyland in CA but Disney World in FL is 99.44 % Nextel, and you won't much Disney traffic on the scanner except a few wireless mics.

b52hbuff

landonjensen said:
Has anyone had trouble taking thier scanner into Disneyland? Do they question it or anything?

I've never had trouble taking it in. But on the advice of a friend and some recent personal experience, I've been more 'discreet' in taking it in. Check out this thread:
http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1516

Folks are checking you out when you are checking in. So I'd keep it discreet until you got through the entry turnstile. I would highly recommend that you only listen with an earpiec.e

I've had two instances of DL CM asking about a radio. A _long_ time ago, I had a Yaesu FT51 in my vest pocket. He asked, and I told him it was for keeping in touch with family & friends.

The second was when a security CM along with a senior manager came by to ask questions about my radio. I was sitting along the Rivers of America, waiting for Fantasmic! to start. I was sitting on the ground, legs crossed with my radio in my lap. The radio was a 396T with a SRH-519 (~4" whip). I was listening with an acoustic earpiece with the wired tucked up under my shirt.

According to the manager 'someone' saw the radio and was concerned that it might cause 'interference'. He asked questions about whether it was 'tuned into their frequencies'. I sorta deflected the question and told him that it was just a receiver.

Here's a set of profiles for you:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16502

http://www.mouseplanet.com/al/docs/scan.htm

midnightcaller

Premium Subscriber
I never had a promblem with any of my radios that i took DL, in California or orlando.

I went to Orlando back in 2004 and the last time I went to Disney Land was back in 1998

When I went to DL I had a freq counter and 2 scanners and my HT nobody never said a word to me I had one of the workers, hold my radios when I went on one of the rides

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
I was in Disneyworld in 2004, I guess this was before their transition to nextel?? Because I could swear that I picked up Disney on 900mhz and 800mhz. About the only person that asked about the scanner was one security guard, who was just curious.

dangitdoug

I was at Disneyland in May of this year. No problem with scanner or FRS radios.

Doug K

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
landonjensen said:
and, if they ask, what could i say the scanner was for?

Just tell them you are keeping in touch with your retarded cousin named "Al Queda"...they will accept that with open arms :D

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
Tell them it is for listening to the weather, news broadcast, local ham repeater, FRS they rent illegally and the local fire/ems. There is nothing wrong with having a radio hobby. Unlike another thread on the board, if they ask questions, I take it out (radio) and show them what good radio equipment can do. More than likely, after about 10 seconds into the demonstration, they will get board or busy with the line of people behind you.

I just took my FT-60 into Kings Island. Security opened up my bag saw it was a radio and closed it. No problem. Going through airport security, I was asked to turn it on and make it function. I guess so they would think/know it was real and didn't have anything hidden in the shell of a radio. No different from my kids mp3.

Now try to show them how to make a insulin pump work without dropping your blood sugar into levels of unconsciousness and you got your hands full.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Was just there...

I was just there (Disneyworld in Orlando) in July for 7 days, and had no trouble taking my VR-500 and whip to every park.

I was not discreet about it at all, meaning... The security checkpoints at every park make you open up your bags, and my VR-500 was packed with the camera and camcorder. The security folks didn't give it a second thought. Once in the park, I had it clipped to my belt with antenna and earphone.

Just FYI, I wasn't listening to Disney, but for Florida mil air.

Rover

I was just at MGM , Universal and Disney World. Just about everyone and thier kids has FRS/GRMS radios. Scanning as I entered into the vicinity of Universal all the FRS + GRMS frequencies were overloaded with tons of signals and overlapping comms.

73 Ray KB4OMO

landonjensen

You could always tell the security it is for frs monitoring for your kids because im sure they see so many of those everyday.

Go-24

Why lie? If they recognize what it really is you’ll be doing yourself a great disservice!

For that matter, why not just leave the scanners at home? Jeeeesh talk about a needle in the arm.

b52hbuff

Go-24 said:
For that matter, why not just leave the scanners at home? Jeeeesh talk about a needle in the arm.

Because you can get a lot of useful and entertaining information over the radio. Weather can cancel some of the big night time shows. Hearing the cancellation over the radio will allow you to beat a hasty retreat before the rest of the crowd knows. I have actually heard them 'pin down' the crowds with 'may be cancelled' messages when they knew for sure the show was being cancelled. They just wanted to get their crowd control people in place.

You can also hear ride wait and status information. Knowing a ride has gone down can save you a walk. If you know that aride has just come back online, there is usually a minimal wait. If you're inline for a ride and it breaks, you can know whether to wait or go somewhere else...

flyingwolf

Old School
traumacop said:
Tell them it is for listening to the weather, news broadcast, local ham repeater, FRS they rent illegally and the local fire/ems.

Can you explain that part in bold?

How is it illegal to ren tan FRS unit. Now a GMRS I could understand, but an FRS?

mciupa

Database Admin
landonjensen said:
Has anyone had trouble taking their scanner into Disneyland? Do they question it or anything?

I only got 'tude from this little dude. Enjoy your visit. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.