Dix Hills FD in a squeez

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
As I'm listening to DHFD sign on for a rescue call at Ostwego Park, I can't help to wonder how much longer they are going to be able to continue to operate on a commercial band frequency. 471.4375 is a commercial "community repeater" that handled heating oil delivery comms untill the mass defection by the commercial bussiness industry to Nextel for there comms. Now the holder of this license like others in his boat are hoping that their "paper loaded" channels will fly under the FCC radar untill the wireless industry makes a play for that part of the spectrum and they get a big pay day. In the mean time, he's conned the good people in DHFD that he can let them step up to UHF with out going through the hurtles of the FCC. Well the saying goes: if it is too good to be true... So DHFD is trying to do things right and get FCC approval BUT, the fly in the ouintment is another license holder for the same freq less than 30 miles away. That license shows "scores of commercial users" Wink Wink. I hope the good people at DHFD can fix this. Where is R.Fox when we need him.

gcr33

You have to be making a joke right? I know they are not that busy but to rely on a commerical repeater for fire operations sounds like they are really playing with fire.

UHF channels while not easily available in the public safety bands are where they need to be. Low power low antenna would work for them.

IW_RADIO

newsnick175 said:
As I'm listening to DHFD sign on for a rescue call at Ostwego Park, I can't help to wonder how much longer they are going to be able to continue to operate on a commercial band frequency. 471.4375 is a commercial "community repeater" that handled heating oil delivery comms untill the mass defection by the commercial bussiness industry to Nextel for there comms. Now the holder of this license like others in his boat are hoping that their "paper loaded" channels will fly under the FCC radar untill the wireless industry makes a play for that part of the spectrum and they get a big pay day. In the mean time, he's conned the good people in DHFD that he can let them step up to UHF with out going through the hurtles of the FCC. Well the saying goes: if it is too good to be true... So DHFD is trying to do things right and get FCC approval BUT, the fly in the ouintment is another license holder for the same freq less than 30 miles away. That license shows "scores of commercial users" Wink Wink. I hope the good people at DHFD can fix this. Where is R.Fox when we need him.
Even the "Great Foxy" won't be able to straighten this mess out. DHFD was taken by the "smooth talking con-man" JB who was only interested in selling them a UHF repeater system. I don't understand why DHFD didn't do it the right way and get properly coordinated and licensed public safety T-Band frequencies through a legit company like TLP.

Last edited:

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
by the way why are the time stamps on these posts 3 hrs. behind the real time? Its 9:49! Is this forum on west coast time?

Last edited:

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Well it looks as if Dix Hills has resolved the issue raised by their use of a commerical frequency for their daily operations. Good for them! [see fcc site] Now all we have to look for is HCFAS to get on the UHF band wagon. After their recent efforts went down the tubes, getting them up to UHF will complete the circle and we can reprogram our radios and correct a few things of our own.

ALLPLOWEDOUT

Dhfd

Ahh JB, What a story that is in itself!

Gotta amaze ya what can be "suggested" to a FD or a municipality.

IW_RADIO

Well it looks as if Dix Hills has resolved the issue raised by their use of a commerical frequency for their daily operations. Good for them! [see fcc site] Now all we have to look for is HCFAS to get on the UHF band wagon. After their recent efforts went down the tubes, getting them up to UHF will complete the circle and we can reprogram our radios and correct a few things of our own.

I'm glad to hear that Dix Hills received their properly coordinated and licensed UHF frequencies via a very reputable source, even with the "JB" factor. HCFAS is another story whereas "CC & The Teletubbies" has completely sold a bill of goods to a completely clueless leadership. It's like a repeat performance of the SFD debacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.