• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

DLR/DTR vs DMR for Outdoors (Skiing)

DanRollman

Database Admin
Curious to hear from anyone who has tried various types of radios for group communication in a downhill skiing environment.

My family (6 of us) is pretty radio savvy. We started with FRS radios years ago but quickly upgraded to DLR1060 radios for use around the neighborhood and especially on our annual cruise vacation. The DLR radios perform flawlessly throughout a 17-deck cruise ship, which gives us the confidence to let our little kids have more freedom on a cruise than we might otherwise. In a cruise ship environment, the DLR radios perform far better than VHF or UHF analog, UHF DMR, and 800 MHz P25, all of which we've tried, but that isn't a huge surprise given 900 MHz FHSS is great for building penetration.

Last year we had a great time on a family ski trip, but missed the ability to communicate easily. My wife and I agreed we really need to bring radios of some kind on our ski trips. In a group, it would be great to be able to easily communicate about a change of plans on which trail we want to take or the status of someone who took a spill. And when we separate intentionally (or unintentionally), it would be great to more easily communicate about where and when to meet up again, etc. Phones don't work well throughout the mountain even for that latter piece.

Mesh systems like Cardo's Packtalk Outdoor look awesome for when actively skiing in a group, but that wouldn't be good for communicating across the mountain when skiing separately or when someone is in the lodge. Plus it would be an investment in yet another set of communication devices. My wife and I have DMR radios we occasionally use to communicate with eachother (we're both licensed amateurs), but that excludes the kids. My wife and I have DTR700 radios and the kids have DLR1060s, so that's an easy option if it will work well enough in that environment.

All that to say, I'm curious to hear from anyone who has tried the DLR/DTR FHSS radios in a relatively long range outdoor environment like a ski resort. I know it's not what they're designed for, but I've also read about people having surprising success in usual situations with such radios. Do we have a good shot at those radios serving our needs, or are we better off considering an expansion of our analog/DMR radio cache? Or even the Packtalk intercom for short range and bluetooth smartphone connectivity for long range (where the LTE network can be found on the mountain)?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
You just need to give it a shot. Only the only one that would work when a group is on the backside and you are on the front side of the mountain would be the LTE radios. That being said, I use GMRS when skiing with the kids which has worked well, since we only ski the east coast currently.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
They work great outdoors! Here in the desert, I have used them (DTR650) for over 20 miles. Ran out of road before I ran out of range. Of course that's with pretty much no obstructions at all. With the exception of a few deadspots, I can easily use them between my house and work, which is about 17 miles by air. Have made great use of them in that manner when the cell phones went down.

The only issue you might run into with skiing, is that pine needles really attenuate signals in the 900 MHz range. So if you are in the forest or something with a bunch of pine trees, you might run into issues.

Just give it a try!

Wicho

I’ve used DTR700, FRS, GMRS and MURS skiing at different resorts in Tahoe. My opinion is that unless you’re going to wear a chest pack or a backpack with a speaker mic, it’s best to stick to small radios that will fit in a parka/jacket pocket (DLR or bubble packers) even though it’s inconvenient to use them when in pockets.

We use chest packs (Motorola ones and some holster guy ones) without speaker mics. I’ve settled on MURS since it’s outdoors and much less crowded frequencies. Why not DTR700? Because I don’t want to ruin them with multiple snowboarding falls by the kids. Because of this, we use cheap Retevis RB17V ones. Haven’t killed one yet in two seasons. Hiking in the summer we do use the DTR700’s and GMRS (icom F4161 and old F43 radios).

For range, they all work just as well IMO as long as you’re all on the same side of the mountain. Some skiing front side and others back side and you’re SOL regardless unless one person happens to be at the top. For congestion, stay away from FRS, but it isn’t that bad really.

Your current setup will work just fine IMO.

rhedgehog

I use DTR600/DTR700 radios while skiing, and they work fantastically. My home ski area is Mt Baker, and I get amazing reception between both base areas. I suspect the signal is reflecting off of higher peaks to reach over the mountain. I've also tried UHF and MURS radios, and the DTRs blow them out of the water in every respect when on the mountain.

DanRollman

Database Admin
I use DTR600/DTR700 radios while skiing, and they work fantastically. My home ski area is Mt Baker, and I get amazing reception between both base areas. I suspect the signal is reflecting off of higher peaks to reach over the mountain. I've also tried UHF and MURS radios, and the DTRs blow them out of the water in every respect when on the mountain.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Based on this, we won't bother acquiring anything new and will give the DTR radios a try.

It definitely seems like every time I think there is a (non-repeated) communication solution that "should" work better than the DTR radios (including $3k P25 public safety grade radios, DMR radios, VHF MURS radios, etc.), the DTR radios always just work better than all the alternatives. But I've never tried in a truly rural setting like a ski resort.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I've had good results with both VHF and UHF simplex. Either in chest packs or in inside pockets with speaker mics. Many years ago i did a family trip one winter to Marmot in Jasper National Park and not only had excellent reliability on the hill, but also had reliable comms from the ski hill to the hotel we were staying at in the Jasper townsite with 5w VHF portables.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
One thing not mentioned the DTR‘s have the approval beeps to contend with. I have three DTR650’s they work great. One more thing they can be more secure than a regular gmrs.

Tim118

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the tips everyone. Based on this, we won't bother acquiring anything new and will give the DTR radios a try.

It definitely seems like every time I think there is a (non-repeated) communication solution that "should" work better than the DTR radios (including $3k P25 public safety grade radios, DMR radios, VHF MURS radios, etc.), the DTR radios always just work better than all the alternatives. But I've never tried in a truly rural setting like a ski resort.
Just wondering if you used the DTR radios skiing and how they worked out?

Firebuff880

You should evaluate the Geospatial Platform for Venues Application. Lots of interesting features, especially for families wanting to keep track of each other.

We built an app (on iOS and Android) to test our own developer tools for ski resorts.
It's free! Thank you to all of our beta shredders.

‍Connect with your crew, find the loo, choose your run, have some fun!
Using powerful geospatial technology, Snow Mappy helps snow enthusiasts explore resorts using an interactive 2D/3D platform for turn-by-turn navigation that allows you to stay connected with family and friends. Set your shred level, choose your destination, and let the app be your guide!