BCD436HP/BCD536HP: DMR and air band

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone ever listened to a air frequency using DMR? Just saw a post about DMR and air band. Didn’t know that. If there is some using DMR, May upgrade my 436 software. Thanks.

WX4BLF

The DMR they are referring to is private companies, like airline operations or crop dusters. AM air band is the standard for ATC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I've never heard DMR in the VHF aircraft bands... just AM. However, a lot of airline and various ground agencies at airports use UHF DMR frequencies.

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
I've never heard of DMR in the airband. Given the pushback against ADSB from the industry, in skeptical a mandate for DMR radios in airplanes would gain traction. Especially given the cost.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I've never heard of DMR in the airband. Given the pushback against ADSB from the industry, in skeptical a mandate for DMR radios in airplanes would gain traction. Especially given the cost.

DMR will never be used in the 118-136MHz airband. I highly doubt VHF airband radio will ever be anything but analogue AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Not only is airband going to stay analog AM (presumably forever), the air carrier operations are all switching to CPDLC. So within the next few years, you can expect normal radio traffic to greatly diminish.

majoco

Stirrer
Even if CPDLC increases in use, the over-water aircraft still have to make HF contact with the MWARA control station and carry out a Selcal check when changing sectors.

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
I work at a regional airline. Believe me, it will be many years before we update for CPDLC, they're still dragging their feet on ADS-B right now.

Edit: I'll believe in CPDLC when I see it, for now I don't think regional airlines have much incentive to go to CPDLC. Though you never know what's in the works.

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
Controller–pilot data link communications.

In simple terms, think of it like text-messaging or email between pilots and Air Traffic Control. ATC can issue clearances, amended clearances, and other instructions to participating aircraft and pilots of those participating aircraft can respond to those clearances. It's all data, no voice.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Even if CPDLC increases in use, the over-water aircraft still have to make HF contact with the MWARA control station and carry out a Selcal check when changing sectors.

For now.

I work at a regional airline. Believe me, it will be many years before we update for CPDLC, they're still dragging their feet on ADS-B right now.

Edit: I'll believe in CPDLC when I see it, for now I don't think regional airlines have much incentive to go to CPDLC. Though you never know what's in the works.

All of the regionals that matter have been more or less ADS-B and CPDLC equipped for quite some time already. Voice is still going to be the default comms. method, especially since the smaller private planes are never going to be equipped (at least for the foreseeable future), but the majority of airline traffic will be off the radio in the next couple years.

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
I dont know of anyone who makes a DMR radio capable of air and freqs. I seem to recall there being possible digital voice comms in the distant future with the new 8.33khz channels. But it isn't my part of the industry, so I dont really know for sure. TT

D

DaveNF2G

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
CPDLC is just the latest "one-size-fits-all" solution to an overloaded airspace system and radio spectrum. Like cellular phones for ground based communications. Nothing provides better situational awareness while doing more than one thing at a time than broadcast voice communications. If ATC threw all of their eggs into the CPDLC basket and something critical failed, the result would be chaos (and probably a lot of deaths).

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."
CPDLC is just the latest "one-size-fits-all" solution to an overloaded airspace system and radio spectrum. Like cellular phones for ground based communications. Nothing provides better situational awareness while doing more than one thing at a time than broadcast voice communications. If ATC threw all of their eggs into the CPDLC basket and something critical failed, the result would be chaos (and probably a lot of deaths).

The spectrum capacity is an easy fix. We just need to implement 8.33khz spacing, like the rest of the aviation world did 25 years ago.
IMHO, still plenty of capacity in the airspace system, but quite a shortage of the runway element.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Spectrum capacity is indeed really easy to fix...don't do anything. New airports aren't just popping up all over the place. There are plenty of frequencies available without overlap.

As far as situational awareness, MITRE and the FAA Tech. Center would disagree. Capacity is drammatically increased with CPDLC and "hearback/readback" errors are reduced to basically zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.