• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

DMR findings in the Ottawa area

Interesting...this looks like Turris extending its VHF Renfrew Cty. system eastward. This must have just started up as I did a sweep over that part of the band a couple of days ago and didn't hear it.

Dave
Interesting yes.
I don't hear it though. Any active talkgroups that are on that system are listed in the database already. I have not seen any other users on this system other then the few other talkgroups that I have heard less then a handful of times and basically never again. The ones listed are active almost daily.

However. With that said. I have heard sunshine coach service from Renfrew state they were at a drop off point in Ottawa one time with a customer. I believe it was at a hospital for an appointment or something. I believe they mentioned the civic hospital if I remember correctly.

So now that this particular site has now been found perhaps that would be needed for this particular user to still be able to use the system effectively for them. Renfrew site would be too far for them to communicate back to there base from Ottawa. So an Ottawa affiliate site would be needed.

Would the Bronson site still not be still too far though to communicate with the renfrew site though and the rest of the system? Or is there still yet another site in between to make that link? Site 7 perhaps? With Bronson being Site 8.

Any possibilities from the Place De Ville or Moodie Dr sites listed here that could also be part of this system as well?

TAFL Search Results

Last edited:
What gets me though is, if they (Sunshine Coach) needed wide area coverage why not just go with the UHF system (Ottawa towers already in place and sufficient coverage in Renfrew County) and the opposite for Township of Admaston-Bromley who don't need such wide area coverage they would've been fine on the VHF system instead of being on the UHF system.

Last edited:
Meanwhile looking east...

In TAFL I notice that Turris has licensed 143.550, 163.275, and 163.575 for DMR across several sites: Wendover, Casselman, Alfred, St.-Isidore, Vankleek Hill, Hawkesbury, and Rockland.

Wonder if fire service(s) will be on this system once it gets going; or other county services, possibly mixed with commercial users?

Dave

So now that this particular site has now been found perhaps that would be needed for this particular user to still be able to use the system effectively for them. Renfrew site would be too far for them to communicate back to there base from Ottawa. So an Ottawa affiliate site would be needed.

Would the Bronson site still not be still too far though to communicate with the renfrew site though and the rest of the system? Or is there still yet another site in between to make that link? Site 7 perhaps? With Bronson being Site 8.

Any possibilities from the Place De Ville or Moodie Dr sites listed here that could also be part of this system as well?

TAFL Search Results
Tower C has another frequency 163.530 on a different licence might show up as another frequency with 164.460. 452.450 used to be LTR with Minto Security, doubt if it's still active but heard blips on it not too long ago.

As for Site 7, if/when it appears, logically would be between Renfrew and downtown Ottawa as that is a bit of a stretch even on VHF.

Dave

However. With that said. I have heard sunshine coach service from Renfrew state they were at a drop off point in Would the Bronson site still not be still too far though to communicate with the renfrew site though and the rest of the system? Or is there still yet another site in between to make that link? Site 7 perhaps? With Bronson being Site 8.

TAFL Search Results

No TG activity heard on Site 8 so far. Odd that it reports 3 as a neighbour, but not the other way around.

Will keep an eye on other Turris Ottawa area VHF repeater frequecies for other sites.

Dave

Can we go ahead and put this site 8 into the database now that we've identified as being part of this system?
I'd leave it for a bit to see what activity shows up, maybe another frequency, and some TG info. More work for DB admins
otherwise. Besides, the people actively interested are on this thread, or ones related.

Also as it's no longer just Renfrew, does the name change?

Might be useful to keep an eye on these licensed frequencies:

Dave

What gets me though is, if they (Sunshine Coach) needed wide area coverage why not just go with the UHF system (Ottawa towers already in place and sufficient coverage in Renfrew County) and the opposite for Township of Admaston-Bromley who don't need such wide area coverage they would've been fine on the VHF system instead of being on the UHF system.

Could it be that their radio's are VHF only?
If that is the case they would need a second radio to use the UHF system.
Just a wild guess.