DMR Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Exactly what you said. If I can start gathering data on what is active, I can start correlating it to license data to determine what is more likely to be active.

And, thank you for the support :)

Ed6698

Excellent! If you don't mind, please email me the info on what you found.

If I had more info on what is active DMR, I could create search tools to better guess what is actually going to be heard.

So far, very few folks have sent me info re found DMR.

I can do that down the line, as of now it is only 1 frequency. I have all of the DMR set to record, so I can keep a lookout for anything active.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Exactly what you said. If I can start gathering data on what is active, I can start correlating it to license data to determine what is more likely to be active.

And, thank you for the support :)

OK. You prefer we send it to the email on the website? (Sorry if you already mentioned all this)

And if I can suggest a feature for the website: Would it be possible to have drop-down menus to select the localities? Like we can pick the state first and then the county, etc.?

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
That email should be fine or through the RR email function. It should all get to the same place.

That's something I might consider. My preference is to type it in. Have a vote on it and I'll look into it. It would be a bit more coding and slow down the website, though.

se

Hi.

Hi Chris.

Sheldon (se) here. How are you doing? We have sent messages to each other a few times in the past. Do you own a BCD536hp too now? Did you buy the DMR upgrade for it? I did but not sure if I have installed yesterdays ( Friday July 22's) final release correctly. Would you add me to your friends list on Facebook? I would like to talk to you about DMR. I think some people in the Uniden forums are upset with me

Sheldon.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Aggie, some of the DMR listings for Northampton County, Pennsylvania are still using conventional analog. I'll give an example: Exel Logistics, WQTR736. Listed as both 11K2F3E, 7K60FXE. While at work I am less than a 1/4 mile from them. Nothing on DMR, only analog. I'm thinking some of these guys just had their license listed as both for future DMR use.

Is there a certain format you would like the info to be? I can keep you in the loop as I find DMR or analog use found from your site.

troymail

Silent Key
The FCC license data isn't 100% accurate. Many licenses list DMR emission types but aren't using it (yet?), others don't list that emission type but are using it, and even some are a combination of this (I have one license that lists several DMR frequencies combined with analog emission - however, the frequency they are actually using for DMR is only listed as analog on the license). I've also seen those cases where a license is listed as conventional but are being used by those licensed users for a trunked system.

troymail

Silent Key
BTW - that's no knock on the capability that Justin has created.... I think it's excellent for helping to quickly load up stuff to search... a great starting point. I actually started down the same path a while back.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Yes, please send me confirmed analog only frequencies too. Anything will help build data to perhaps sort through what's unlikely to be DMR. I don't have a format setup at this point, so just whatever you are able to send. I've received information from several people over the past 24 hours, so I should have enough to start looking into it soon.

I wonder what the penalty (if any) is for operating outside of a license? Do they cancel you completely? Fines? Perhaps we should let these folks know that their radio emissions don't match up with their license before big brother stumbles onto them (or a competing radio marketer tries to force the issue).

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I have a Pro 668 that is had the Whistler factory DMR upgrade. My problem is I'm trying to listen to my local DMR hand repeater. No matter how I program the scanner whether I program DMR conventional or DMR trunking I can only receive one talk group. The talk group turns out to be on time slot to and is the only talk group on that slot. On time slot 1 there is five other talk group's and I never hear anything on them. I believe on programming it the right way as far as colorcode, time slot, and talk group's but I'm thinking there has got to be activity on the other talk group's at some time and I never hear any. There is anybody run across a similar problem?

Pete

troymail

Silent Key
Hello all,

I have a Pro 668 that is had the Whistler factory DMR upgrade. My problem is I'm trying to listen to my local DMR hand repeater. No matter how I program the scanner whether I program DMR conventional or DMR trunking I can only receive one talk group. The talk group turns out to be on time slot to and is the only talk group on that slot. On time slot 1 there is five other talk group's and I never hear anything on them. I believe on programming it the right way as far as colorcode, time slot, and talk group's but I'm thinking there has got to be activity on the other talk group's at some time and I never hear any. There is anybody run across a similar problem?

Pete
You can't really go wrong programming a DMR frequency - even more so for amateur radio since it's a single frequency.

The simple method is a conventional DMR channel leaving everything set to "Any" or wildcard (*).

The better method for managing talkgroups is as a trunk system and this is only slightly more challenging - create a new DMR system, add/update a site with the repeater frequency, and add a wildcard talkgroup. You can leave all parameters like color code, etc. wildcarded/set to any.

Activity varies from area to area - when in central Maryland, I hear ALOT more talkgroups (worldwide, etc.) than in my current location.

Remember that some talkgroups are "local" and won't be heard unless you are monitoring the repeater that the users are talking on.

For comparison purposes - do you have some other radio or scanner at the same location that is receiving these other talkgroups?

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your reply. I do not have another radio to try. Very confident I have the system is programmed correctly. Programmed all the talk group's in the right timeslots and added wildcard as suggested. Maybe there's just no one talking on the North America, worldwide talk groups in this area. I read somewhere that they are PTT activated and maybe nobody is using them. I find it kinda hard to believe but I guess it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.