DMR Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Well, I took a best guess approach to programming in a local conventional DMR channel. Here's what I did, and my results..

- Went to the Trunked Systems tab, hit New System
- Set the name to DMR Test and selected DMR as the system type
- Under Site Details, for site 1 I gave it a name and set the frequency and color code in the site frequencies box
- Under the Talkgroup Details tab, I entered the talkgroup ID and assigned it an alpha tag and scan list

Aaaaand I think that was it! I updated the programming on the radio and enabled only that scanlist and sure enough, it was talking away... and it sounds EXCELLENT!

Seems like a convoluted way to do a conventional system though. Not sure why you can't just enter your frequency, select DMR as the channel type (instead of FM/NFM etc). Assign CC, timeslot and talkgroup and away you go. The way it is now doing it via a pseudo trunked setup... how do I differentiate between talkgroup 100 on TS1 vs talkgroup 100 on TS2? A fire dept local to me uses this exact setup. OPS 1 is TG100 on TS1, OPS2 is TG100 on TS2.

Great start though, thanks to all involved at Whistler!!

DonS

how do I differentiate between talkgroup 100 on TS1 vs talkgroup 100 on TS2? A fire dept local to me uses this exact setup. OPS 1 is TG100 on TS1, OPS2 is TG100 on TS2.

That's part of Wendy's "additional DMR feature enhancements are in process and will be available shortly. Stay tuned!".

There will be support for "conventional DMR", where a conventional channel object has a frequency and, if desired, slot and color code. In your case, you'd create two CONV objects, same frequency, different slots.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Good to know, thanks very much Don. I'm super impressed with the audio quality so far, it sounds very very nice.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I would try asking in one of the other general DMR update threads, not a programming specific one.

DonS

What if all it shows in the database is 155.235, dmr and a color code and NO talk group IDs? How would I enter this?

Create a DMR trunked system
In the first (default) site, add that frequency
Set that frequency's "DMR CC" field to the value listed
Create a "Wildcard" talkgroup

You should then hear any DMR traffic on that frequency as long as the color code matches what you programmed.

(This is how I listen to local a DMR-MARC repeater, where all I care about are frequency and color code.)

DonS

Can I leave the color code to any?

You can, but if you know that what you're trying to monitor uses a specific color code, you should probably enter it. Otherwise, there's a chance that you'll hear other, nearby DMR repeaters that use the same frequency (but a different color code).

In this case, you can think of color code as CTCSS or DCS.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any luck with a Cap+ system yet? I would appreciate any tips, because I'm striking out here trying to listen to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

N8IAA

Has anyone had any luck with a Cap+ system yet? I would appreciate any tips, because I'm striking out here trying to listen to the San Diego Zoo Safari Park.

KI6AOK, I have a Con + near where I live. Had no problem loading in the 1088 and for the first time in over four years, was able to monitor that county.
My mistake, didn't see that you were referencing a Cap +. Don't have any near me. Sorry
Larry

Last edited:

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Well, I took a best guess approach to programming in a local conventional DMR channel. Here's what I did, and my results..

- Went to the Trunked Systems tab, hit New System
- Set the name to DMR Test and selected DMR as the system type
- Under Site Details, for site 1 I gave it a name and set the frequency and color code in the site frequencies box
- Under the Talkgroup Details tab, I entered the talkgroup ID and assigned it an alpha tag and scan list

Aaaaand I think that was it! I updated the programming on the radio and enabled only that scanlist and sure enough, it was talking away... and it sounds EXCELLENT!

Seems like a convoluted way to do a conventional system though. Not sure why you can't just enter your frequency, select DMR as the channel type (instead of FM/NFM etc). Assign CC, timeslot and talkgroup and away you go. The way it is now doing it via a pseudo trunked setup... how do I differentiate between talkgroup 100 on TS1 vs talkgroup 100 on TS2? A fire dept local to me uses this exact setup. OPS 1 is TG100 on TS1, OPS2 is TG100 on TS2.

Great start though, thanks to all involved at Whistler!!

Confused: I tried the above but when I creat a site it says the site name I created
but then under sub type it reverts to p25 auto.

I am trying to use the drm frequencies located in Sussex county New jersey

Vernon

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
477.03750 WQGN627 RM 8 CC
192201 TG
1 SL Vernon FD 1 Fire 1 DMR Fire-Talk
477.03750 WQGN627 RM 8 CC
192202 TG
2 SL Vernon EMS 1 EMS 1 DMR EMS-Tac
477.06250 WQGN627 RM 8 CC
192201 TG
1 SL Vernon FD 2 Fire 2 DMR Fire-Talk
477.06250 WQGN627 RM 8 CC
192202 TG
2 SL Vernon EMS 2 EMS 2 DMR EMS-Tac

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1789#cid-23827

Please Help .

Last edited:

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Yes - I simply imported/programmed the same as other DMR systems in my area. Are you in the coverage range of the system?

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm within range and have listened to the system on a CS750. I'll reprogram and give it another shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.