DMR Transciever for monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa

I want to monitor a DMR Connect Plus MotoTRBO system but my digital scanner doesn't have DMR capabilities and I don't want to buy another scanner for only DMR.
I had this idea to get a cheap DMR Transciever and use it to monitor the DMR system.

Could a DMR transceiver like a TYT MD-380 be used to monitor a DMR system like a scanner?

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
If its a busy system and has lots of channels then NO.
If its a slow system with just a couple of channels then sure.
Keep in mind you would have to program in each frequency with each slot then have each of those have the talkgroup or groups to monitor. So monitoring a trunking system like that is not very effective.
Also connect plus cant be monitored with a mototrbo by motorola either. Capacity plus can be RX only enabled but NOT Connect Plus.
The best way to monitor that type of system is with a scanner.

alex5774

I want to monitor a DMR Connect Plus MotoTRBO system but my digital scanner doesn't have DMR capabilities and I don't want to buy another scanner for only DMR.
I had this idea to get a cheap DMR Transciever and use it to monitor the DMR system.

Could a DMR transceiver like a TYT MD-380 be used to monitor a DMR system like a scanner?

If you install the experimental firmware by Travis goodspeed and enable promiscuous mode it will make monitoring way easier. You won't have to program every talkgroup into your radio, just the frequencies (twice, once for each timeslot) and the colour codes.

Also connect plus cant be monitored with a mototrbo by motorola either. Capacity plus can be RX only enabled but NOT Connect Plus.

I'm receiving a connect plus system (GOTRBO 202) just fine on my md-380. Obviously it's not as good as a scanner but it still works.

Last edited:

Circa

If you install the experimental firmware by Travis goodspeed and enable promiscuous mode it will make monitoring way easier. You won't have to program every talkgroup into your radio, just the frequencies (twice, once for each timeslot) and the colour codes.

Where can I find this experimental firmware?
I can Google it if it's not something we can not openly speak of on here.
I have a DM-5r (big mistake atm) and have my MD-380 on its way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Analogrules

Are there any reasonable priced DMR radios that have promiscuous mode right out of the box, without having to deal with all the hacked firmware updates? My local school district now uses DMR radios, and I would like to monitor them without having to buy a $500 scanner to pick them up.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Are there any reasonable priced DMR radios that have promiscuous mode right out of the box, without having to deal with all the hacked firmware updates? My local school district now uses DMR radios, and I would like to monitor them without having to buy a $500 scanner to pick them up.

Adding the experimental "hacked" firmware to the MD380 is very easy and only takes a couple of minutes at the most. If your local school district is using conventional DMR with NO encryption then the MD380 is the way to go as it is easy to use and with Promiscuous Mode you can monitor all TGs on both slots.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Analogrules

Thank you very much for your quick feedback. Ideally, I rather have a dual band rig since I like to monitor VHF too. I may look into the UV380

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much for your quick feedback. Ideally, I rather have a dual band rig since I like to monitor VHF too. I may look into the UV380

Ailunce HD-1 is dual-band and has promiscuous mode available. :wink:

Valeriy

I tried both MD380 Tools and MD380 Toolz, but succeeded in listening to some DMR agencies only after decoding their parameters with DSD+ and then programming my MD380, so I reverted back to the stock firmware, also for reliability reasons.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I would sell the current scanner, and buy one that is DMR capable. The cost difference is probably not much more than buying a second radio that will have only limited DMR RX capabilities, both in the frequency bands usable and the number of systems and channels that can be monitored.

Valeriy

I tried the hacked firmware, but after some weeks my 380 became unusable (the display started blinking fastly out of control) and reverted back to stock firmware.
I prefer to decode the parameters of DMR agencies with DSD+ on PC in order to program my MD380.

Ubbe

If you know the TGs you could use the stock firmware in the MD380 but you will loose the ability to monitor private calls mobile-to-mobile.

A MD380 costs no more than $100 and the DMR option for a Uniden scanner costs $60. A MD380 have better sensitivity and intermod rejection than any Uniden scanner and decodes the DMR data more reliable. I have 3 DMR radios scanning one or a couple of systems each and works extreamly well, compared to a scanner.

/Ubbe

K2RNI

Adding the experimental "hacked" firmware to the MD380 is very easy and only takes a couple of minutes at the most. If your local school district is using conventional DMR with NO encryption then the MD380 is the way to go as it is easy to use and with Promiscuous Mode you can monitor all TGs on both slots.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Nice, I might have to give that a go since a couple of the local hambone operators have some of those they're selling off cheap. Someone else in my area tested the conventional DMR system of the local hospital with a TRX-1 and they were able to receive both slots in the clear. As much as I would love to get one myself it's a bit pricey and that money will go towards new gaming laptop instead.

Analogrules

I am not aware of any regular police scanners with DMR compatability for under $300. I believe only the Uniden and Whistler are DMR compatable, but they are very expensive. Correct me if I am wrong. Also,after watching some you tube videos about the UV380, it seems that even with promiscuous mode, you still need to know the correct color code and timeslot to monitor, unlike those expensive digital scanners that automatically display all that info for you just by programming in the frequency.

Valeriy

Also,after watching some you tube videos about the UV380, it seems that even with promiscuous mode, you still need to know the correct color code and timeslot to monitor, unlike those expensive digital scanners that automatically display all that info for you just by programming in the frequency.

DSD+ on PC shows the CC and the repeater timeslot, as well as the TGs, so one can easily program a digital transceiver such as the TYT MD380 and elegantly snub the Uniden policy about non-US credit cards... :)

P.S.: Oh, after reading the post by Ubbe, I decided to give MD380Tools another try...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.