Do Any DMR Radio Scan More Than 16 Channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Actually, I have a couple of questions:

-Do all the currently available DMR radios scan?

-Which radios will scan the greatest number of channels?

-When monitoring a Capacity Plus system, will a non-Capacity Plus radio do any okay job monitoring the activity?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Scanlist channel limits are not the same as zone channel limits.

The MD-380 and 390 only allow 16 channels per zone, but scanlists can contain up to 32 channels.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Thank you very much for the reply. Just so I have this straight in my mind, I am thinking that on any given conventional DMR repeater there is a maximum of 32 channels/talkgroups, correct? For example, the repeater is 4xx.xxxx and on TS-1 there is 16 possibilities (CC 0-15) and TS-2 there is 16 possibilities, so I can scan all 32 possible combinations, correct?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No. A repeater can only have one color code. But there are over 16 million possible talkgroup IDs. You can expand the number of talkgroups the radio will listen to by creating what TYT calls RX Group Lists. Basically it's a list of talkgroup IDs that the radio will listen to on a particular frequency, color code, timeslot, etc.

If you have a list of talkgroup IDs of interest on a repeater, you can add them to a RX Group list, then create 2 channels that have the same frequency and color code, but opposite time slots, then attach the master RX Group List to both channels. Put those 2 channels in a Scan List, scan that list, and you're listening to everything of interest on the repeater by just scanning 2 channels.

tbailey1712

Thanks, Jon, that's the most concise and helpful explanation of DMR scan groups / talk groups / RX groups I've ever seen. Helps a lot with how to think about my MD-380 codeplug.

Status
Not open for further replies.