• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do I Need a License for my BaoFeng UV-5R?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coollearner

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a beginner of Ham Radios. Actually I don't know much about it now , but I'm very interested and want to learn more about it. I've just bought BaoFeng UV-5R from radioddity.com. I'm aware that some radios require a license to use with. I wonder if this model needs a license, too. I haven't started to use it yet.

QDP2012

Welcome to RR,

Without a license, it is legal to use for receive-only. A license is needed for transmitting. Be careful. Reportedly, that radio is able to also transmit out-of-amateur-bands, for which you will not be licensed, and for which there are penalties.

You can find additional information in these forums by using the search tools and looking for the manufacturer's name or the model number as your search word/words. I learned a lot about this radio by doing this. Some of the technical comments are very informative. General opinions are useful too.

Edit: In case you haven't figured this out yet, license-requirements are based upon the band or frequency you wish to use, not the specific radio model. An amateur radio license is required for transmitting in the amateur bands regardless of equipment used to do so. Similar license requirements exist for business bands, emergency services, GMRS, etc.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
A license is needed for transmitting.
To broaden the scope of the answer, a license is required for transmitting in any two-way voice communications service in the U.S. except CB, MURS, and FRS. Have I missed any?

LtDoc

Cell phones. You missed cell phones. But then, they aren't really radios, are they?
- 'Doc
;)

WB4CS

Hi, I'm new here. I'm a beginner of Ham Radios. Actually I don't know much about it now , but I'm very interested and want to learn more about it. I've just bought BaoFeng UV-5R from radioddity.com. I'm aware that some radios require a license to use with. I wonder if this model needs a license, too. I haven't started to use it yet.

Welcome to the forum! As others have said, in order to transmit on the ham radio bands you will need to get an FCC Amateur Radio License. Getting the entry level Technician license is fairly easy. Check out this website for some information on what ham radio is and how to get licensed: What is Ham Radio

Remember, as tempting as it is, don't transmit on the amateur radio bands without first getting your license. Good luck!

rapidcharger

To broaden the scope of the answer, a license is required for transmitting in any two-way voice communications service in the U.S. except CB, MURS, and FRS. Have I missed any?

Seeing as how the OP asked about a uv5r, it's safe to assume they aren't asking about CB and murs and frs require radios that are certified and meet other specifications to be legal, as I'm sure you know.

N0IU

Well sort of technically you don't need a separate license to operate an aircraft radio since radio operator's privileges are included in a pilot's license.

nd5y

Well sort of technically you don't need a separate license to operate an aircraft radio since radio operator's privileges are included in a pilot's license.

That isn't true. It has nothing to do with the FAA. Read the FCC Report and Order on elimination of license requirements for ship and aircraft stations.
http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Wireless/Orders/1996/fcc96421.txt
Also if you take your boat or aircraft out of the country you still need an operator license.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Technically, you need a license for all those services. However, CB, MURS, FRS are all "license by rule." Meaning, you are granted a license as long as you follow the rules. You don't have to submit an application or use a call sign for those services.

To the OP's question, it was answered very well in the first reply post.

rapidcharger

Technically, you need a license for all those services. However, CB, MURS, FRS are all "license by rule." Meaning, you are granted a license as long as you follow the rules. You don't have to submit an application or use a call sign for those services.

To the OP's question, it was answered very well in the first reply post.

Oh come on... you didn't think that the question could be answered without side arguments and going off topic, now did you? :D

You also don't need a license to broadcast on a marine band if you are in your boat on the water.

You'll also need a radio certified for part 80

Bazel

The topic here is radio and license and whether a reply is off topic seems to be a very narrow interpretation to some people.
Technically, the radio is section 90 certified, without looking the whole thing up, it may be he can't push the transmitter button at all even with a GMRS license or a marine license. I'm not sure here, but I suspect the fact it does have a transmit button would make it an illegal scanner.

Just the same I find the other posts interesting and educational and they help me to learn what is right and wrong with these radios.

nd5y

As far as I know none of the Wouxun, Baofeng, etc. cheap Chinese radios are Part 95 certified so that means there are no frequencies you can legally use them on in the US without some type of FCC license.

whirley1

I just talked to the fcc about radios from England and they told me that ALL radios manufactured for use over seas are not fcc legal. These radios operate on slightly different bandwidths then american radios do, so all in all, if the radio comes from england, europe, asia china these are not legal for use in the states.lso that's what the fcc told me less then two weeks ago. so good luck

AC2OY

Welcome to the addiction Cool!!! I tuned around my Kenwood for a week listening only before my license and call sign was in the FCC database. If I can help in any way please ask or PM me. Good start maybe find a local ham radio club in your area,they will help a lot!!

Status
Not open for further replies.