• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Do you have a plan when it hits the fan??

Status
Not open for further replies.

trixwagen

Premium Subscriber
The world has that unstable feeling right now. Or rather, a little more unstable than usual.

Like a lot of you, I attempted some half assed survival preparation for Y2K, maybe a little after 9/11 and when I lived in remote areas with the possibility of no food/water/power for moderately extended periods.

Maybe it is the usual election year jitters, or one of those low points in the economy cycle, but I'm feeling vaguely concerned that things can take a turn for the worst in a fairly short time.

Anyone have a plan? Do you have a cabin in the hills? Some sort of self suffiency? Extra batteries? A magnesium firestarter on your keychain? What are you doing? Or is it a waste of time to plan for worst case scenarios?

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
In my lifetime, I've seen similar conditions come and go. Fortunately we've made it though them all. Things are usually not as bad as some would like you to believe.

The problem with a lot of these survival scenarios is that almost anything you do will only be a temporary solution. If the SHTF bad enough, before too long you either run out of supplies, and be killed by others for your supplies. If you continue to survive, you might wished you hadn't.

This is an interesting and valid question, however, the times are not as bad as the press wants you to think. "Saber-rattling" will continue until the end of time, neither parties willing to destroy themselves in the quest to destroy the enemy, with the exception of a few minor organizations.
Just what is a "survivor"? I've survived alot of things I never should have in my lifetime, yet, I'm still here. Why? I think the answer is more mental than physical. Human beings by design, are not really accepting of death. Most of the people I've known that I'd classify as "survivalists" are just simply afraid to die. Who isn't to some degree. We all have our fears, it's natural and nothing to be ashamed of.
I think most of us dread the "doomsday" scenario. I think what we should fear more is just how we'll cope with the situation mentally should something like this occur.
A cabin in the mountains is fine or a cave in the desert is good too. Me, I'm staying right where I'm at. Why? Because everything I'll ever need is right here. Cover and conceal is everywhere. Supplies are the problem if you're going to survive. I'm not saying that one should stay in an area full of radiation or toxin's, but think about it...whatever you need, is right here.
If you're not a ground zero target or are not within 55 miles downwind of one, stay where you're at. You're not loosing anything and you still have the ability to restock and supply what you need when you need it. Better than being 200 miles from a piece of copper wire or access to a power grid or basic infastructure when you really need it.
I'd keep going, but I've carried this rant on long enough. In closing, don't worry about it. For all the evil's that mankind can do to his fellow beings, psyching yourself up to an event that most likely will not happen will only shorten your life thru the stress.

The press had to increase the negativity over the years to keep their ratings up. This in turn has scared America and the world on how bad things are with the sheep that worship the media. I remember times during the 80's I was more worried than I am now with ICBM and Soviet scares. People have grown to worry about stuff they can not control, stuff that does not affect them, or stuff that has no bearing on their existence. Welcome to world wide media coverage using scare tactics and conflicts for their ratings. I have a "backup" plan but had one since the early 90's. Small parts have changed over the years but I don't have last minute "shock plans" based on an event that happened last week or even yesterday.

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself ...

Once they have you living in fear they can easily control you. You will be much more accepting of a police state thinking it affords you some extra level of protection against your fears.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
AAAHHHHHHH!!!!! ZOMBIES!:( :( :(

seriously, everyone I know is talking about "preparedness" again. Just out of the blue! Its like some vibe people have been picking up. I'll admit to picking up a few essentials or even things I never had before. All this within the past two months. What gives?:confused:

I am headed to the mall if things go bonkers. With a copy of the original Day of the Dead by George Romero:twisted: .

Or we can all band together?

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
My plan is to live in a part of town where the cops have a fighting chance of keeping the scumbags out and over on their side of the fence. I also own a really ugly beat up car that blends in well in more "urban" areas so as to permit me a chance to drive thru unscathed.

Seriously, there's only so much planning you can do. The logistics of caring for 3 children when life is "business as usual" is enough to worry about without having to contemplate all the "what-ifs".

-AZ

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone read "Triple Ought" by James Wesley, Rawles?

There are some striking parallels taking place now that are described in the book - not to the letter, but damn close.

IMO, SHTF is not going to be what anyone expects. Not ZOMBIES, not NUKE WAR. Read about Germany back in the 1920s.

The FED seems to be in lockstep with what the Germans did back then. And since we are the market engine, we take the rest of the world down with us.

Any of the more nasty natural disasters that can happen, like a Yellowstone eruption, east or west coast Tsunami, are just going to compound the issue.

Yeah it could happen, has happened before, but when does it happen again? Better off trying to get your eggs all gathered up for the immediate future. Lots of people are losing jobs right now. Yours could be next. I see mine on the near future list.

Jerry

I'm good to go, I have a well with a hand pump in the shed, 20 cases of MRE's in cool storage that get sold and replaced with new ones every year, water filters, 4x 50lb bags of rice 4x 25 lbs of beans both red and black that are sealed in large airtight pet food containers w/ moisture absorbers. (ain't Cosco great?) a 10kw diesel generator, obtained from an old job that now gets used to power the hunting cabin. Several guns and lost of ammo, a pair of HF radios w/ a 200 a/hr SLA battery as well as several 2 way handheld radios that run p25 w/ encryption. Out of all that, the only thing that doesn't get used on a regular basis is the food, the rest is stuff I had already...Also I live within walking distance of the lake where fish are plentiful and good hunting land is a few miles away and a family member has a multi purpose farm (crops and cattle) not too far away.

I've been through a hurricane before, and luck DOES favor the prepared.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.