Does a 433MHz antenna help with reception?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coltlacrosse

Premium Subscriber
Hi, this is my first post so please tell me if I am double posting or in the wrong section.

Anyway, my question is whether or not a 433MHz antenna will improve reception of 433Mhz signals on my handheld scanner compared to the rubber duck stock antenna. I ask because the antenna I am looking at seems to be designed for transmitting 433MHz signals and I only need to receive.

Also, would I be better off with an adjustable dipole and adjusting it to the 433MHz length (34cm total length)?

My scanner is a hand-held radio shack analogue scanner, if that is relevant, with the standard BNC connection.

are you trying to monitor low power (part 15) devices?
just for laughs i have picked up some on my ht.
that freq is used by door openers / both my weather transmitters or on there.
to answer your question the duckie should work fine, but very limited to distance.
or try a telescopic type ant.
keep me informed, very interested.

Dana
SoCal

coltlacrosse

Premium Subscriber
are you trying to monitor low power (part 15) devices?
just for laughs i have picked up some on my ht.
that freq is used by door openers / both my weather transmitters or on there.
to answer your question the duckie should work fine, but very limited to distance.
or try a telescopic type ant.
keep me informed, very interested.

Dana
SoCal

I will be monitoring a small audio transmitter, the RF output is 125mW and I will be relatively far away, I get reception with my ducky antenna but its poor and I'm looking to get a little more effective range without modifying the transmitter.

ridgescan

It's all about the 433meg antenna is cut precisely to 433megs so yes it will be the optimal antenna. You could use a telescoping antenna as well and draw it out to just shy of 13" for a half-wave antenna or just shy of 6-1/2" for a 1/4-wave antenna at 433mHz. the dukkie through electric lengths gets you in the ballpark though.

Status
Not open for further replies.